CHAPTER 8: NO ONE KNOWS

Ewatomi's POV

Joyce's words kept ringing in my head as my heart began to palpitate. My mom had cancer!!

I walked back in and grabbed my purse. Chloe immediately noticed my change in expression and asked worriedly.

" What's wrong , are you alright?".

" No, I'm not. Not even a little bit". I answered honestly but added," but don't worry about me. I'll be fine, like I always am". I ended it with a forced smile.

" You know you can tell me what's going on right?". She pressed on, holding my hand worriedly.

" Maybe later, but now I need to think. Don't tell Ada anything. She seems to be doing well with Aaron. I'll call you". I said and without waiting for her to reply, left.

Immediately I walked out of Tyn'dyn, I dialed Daniel's number. How dare he, how dare he keep mum's condition from me?. I was very furious. The call kept falling through, no one was picking up. Now I was getting really scared, I was almost crying, how could Daniel do this , how could he?

Trying to keep sane as I continued to dial Daniel's number, I didn't know when I got to the abandoned park. I knew this place well, though abandoned, the overgrown trees, shrubs and grasses made it beautiful. I sat on one of the bench there, waiting a bit before I dialed Daniel's number when I heard someone cry in pain, I was startled at first, it was dark and I knew people hardly came here, especially at night.

Cautiously and carefully, though it was very unnigerian of me, I still wanted to know who it was. I was behaving like white people who foolishly and singlehandedly go check out creepy stuffs. I'm not trying to be mocking or anything, but we all know it's the truth from their movies. I got there and I saw the person, I could almost feel his pain, what could make a man cry this bitterly?. I didn't know him, so I could offer no comfort, moreso, I had my own problems. Just as I was about to turn to leave, my eyes caught sight of a knife in his hands. He was going to slice his wrist and so I had no choice but to butt in.

" Hey!, what do you think you are doing?"  I yelled as I rushed over to him.

He looked up to me and I immediately recognized him, the guy from the bus station. His eyes were still bloodshot but now I could see the intense pain in them, just what was he going through?

" Who are you?"

" Someone who doesn't want you to commit suicide". That was all I could think of .

" Do you even know me?. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!!!". He yelled unexpectedly.

" My gosh. That scared me". I commented lowly as I touched my chest, startled. I then looked up to him and yelled. " Yah!!. Who do you think you are to yell at me?. You are trying to kill yourself and I tried to stop you, and what, you're yelling at me?"

" Why would you stop me?. Even my family wouldn't care if I died or not".

" Well that's them. We are the only one here. What do you think would happen if you are found dead?. I'll be the suspect". I countered and he scoffed bitterly at my words.

" Of course, no one cares". He then made to slit his wrist again, I tried to take the knife from him and he also tried to keep it away from me, in the process, I got a cut.

" Argh ". I screamed in pain as I clutched at my bleeding hand.

" That's not my fault. You shouldn't have interfered". He yelled in anger and a barely concealed remorse.

" What's wrong with you?. Is dying the solution to your problem?. Do you think you would feel better after dying?. No!, YOU WON'T. There's someone who cares so much about you, how heartbroken do you think they would be if you killed yourself?, What of your own happiness, fight it.
J don't know what you're going through and I won't try to say I understand because I don't know, but I know one thing, everyone has a problem, the pain might be greater than another's but suicide has never been an option ". I poured all out.