Chapter 10: Perv (was) Interrupted

Sometimes, Butter missed being a real boy. This was one such time. His long human legs would have come in handy right about now as his mistress held him at eye level, while all he wanted to do was run away from her. The Woodgrip familiar was well aware of that expression. Mistress Pepper always looked at him that way when she was counting on him to have her back. 

Without words, Pepper was asking him: You with me on this, right B?

I am going to die; might as well die for a good cause, thought he, then licked her knuckles. "Meow."

"Are you communicating with him?" Sal asked, running his index finger over the kitten's spine. 

Butter loved it. "Meow." He concluded that Sal was being honest with Pepper when he said he had cats while growing up. 

"You are adorable, B."

"Hey." Pepper hugged her kitten to her chest. "Only I get to call him B. Please stick to Butter."

"Oh, I don't think I can do that."

"Why?"

"Because butter is slippery," Sal said, winking and making finger guns at Pepper. "See what I did there?"

"Oh, my Satan!"

"Yes?"

"What yes?"

"Well, I am sure you had something more to go with"—the man paused and imitated the witch—"Oh, my Satan!" Leaning in, he asked, "I am pretty sure the phrase is: Oh, my God. Be careful, or you will get on his bad side."

"I am a witch." 

The casualness with which his mistress revealed the truth shocked Butter. What the heaven was she doing? 

Then it dawned on him. Pepper was trying to get rid of Sal by exposing her identity. She had seen how most humans wanted nothing to do with witches or wizards, even if they thought that the deluded people worshiped pagan Gods or practiced Wicca.

"We pray to Satan. We don't care much for your lord," she added, closing the distance between them till only an inch or two separated their lips. 

Good. Now kiss

Yes, Butter knew it was too soon for that part, but one could entertain the thought, right? Also, Betta had told him about the power of manifesting. Yes, he thought it was just a superstition, but then again, there was no smoke without fire. There must be at least some truth to it. 

Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Kiss.

"Just kiss and be done with it. People are waiting. Some are even betting on it. So, you guys doing it or not?"

Oh. Nooooooo. Why him? 

"Hello, Mr. Bolt. Lovely party." Salvador stood up, breaking the illusion of intimacy proximity had created. While he shook hands with Brandon, Pepper rocked Butter in her arms, running her fingers through his lustrous coat. 

It's alright, my lady. Stay calm. 

Butter did his best to put his mistress at ease by rubbing himself against her and licking her forearm: the only place he could get to at the moment. 

"I know. Moreover, by hosting it here, I can rest assured that I am getting my money’s worth." 

"I suppose." 

Brandon completely ignored Salvador’s response and crouched next to the table-for-two. "Hello, sister-in-law. What a surprise!?" He rested his chin on the table and looked between Sal, Butter and Pepper. “I always presumed you were single. How did you guys meet?”