Rico and I headed out the door beating my mom to the car. While we were standing outside, Rico started a conversation with me. "How do you feel about today? I know everything before the move was a lot, but you know I got you. God got you, mama and daddy got you. You can make it today." He hugged me again, holding me for a while.

Rico has always made me feel safe at home. Even with the struggles of my parents and the church, he's always been there to protect me. When my faith began to falter, Rico was right next to me, holding my hand, making sure I was ok. My first trip to the clinic, he was right next to me. I began to break down in tears going through the memories. He rubs my back to comfort me.

"I just want everything in the past to stay there. I wish none of it happened." I'm sobbing by this point. He pulls back a bit to look at me. "Hey, hey. Don't say that Tasia. Everything happens for a reason. You know this. Today is going to be an awesome day, you're gonna make friends, and when you come home tonight, we can watch a movie." He reassured me. I'm so glad I didn't do a full face today, because it would be all over his shirt.

I told myself last night I wouldn't let things eat me alive. If I want to continue with this day, I have to remind myself of his words: I got you, god got you. God has me and he won't let me go.

Mama finally comes out, and unlock the car doors. We get in and begin our journey to school.

***

I get into school and I'm led to the commons. The students are all brought to certain areas based on grade level, and from there, last names.

North Wing
Aguilar-Carver

The walk from the commons to the library for my schedule was even longer than the first trip I made into the school. The librarian handed me a slip to receive my ID badge after lunch. "Since you weren't registered before last week, you have to get all your information during or after lunch, do you have any more questions sweetheart?" I shook my head. She handed me a sticky note with my ID number. "Ok then, you can head over to the back of the library to get your schedule."

"Thank you." I began my walk to the back of the library to get my schedule. Once I got it, I headed to English.

***

My first period teacher's name is Mr. Jones. I'm sitting in the middle of the classroom pretty alone. The class is decorated in mini colorful maps of the world. There are names of Greek gods and goddesses everywhere. He has quotes for Shakespeare lining the front wall near the door. I also notice the string of animals across the chalkboard.

"Alright class, if I didn't get to speak to you when you walked in, my name is Mr. Jones. I will be your English 1 teacher this year. If you couldn't tell by the decorations, I am also a world geography teacher. I'm glad to have all of you in my class this year, hopefully you are as glad as I am to be here." He walked around the room giving us all our ID holders and our lanyards. I stuff mine in my backpack for later. "We are going to play a little game, two truths, one lie. Anybody care to volunteer?"

A light skinned boy with an extremely colorful outfit stood up first. He was already sitting in the front, so it didn't take him long to center himself before the rest of us, "Yo what's up, my name is Kenny. My truths and a lie are, I'm a straight A student, I have the flyest outfit in class, and I'm gonna be the next Michael Jordan." I started laughing at that. He definitely has an imagination. It's always great seeing people be so proud and so unapologetically themselves.

His statement earned a lot of laughter and quite a few heckles from the class. After a little while of laughter I heard someone else in the back go, "Kendall, sit yo bum ass down, all of em are lies!" Mr. Jones got angry and checked her.

The entire class booed him off, but before he sat down, he locked eyes with me and winked. I don't exactly know what to make of that. A boy named Jimmy goes up next. He didn't really mention anything of importance rather than his name being Jimmy. I go up after him, starting with my own name. "Hi, I'm Fantasia, my favorite subject is math, I'm from North Carolina, and I have an older brother."

"The lie is that you're from North Carolina!" Kenny responds to me. "Nope," I assure, "that one is true. I'm from High Point." He shifts in his seat, squinting his eyes at me. He begins to rub his hands like he's about to "hey mama" me. "Ok the lie is that your favorite subject is math." I shook my head yes and began to walk off. Right before I got to my desk though, Kenny stopped me and said, "you're beautiful by the way." I thanked him and sat down in my seat.

This boy is seriously trying to get some play. I'm not all that opposed to it, because I think it's cute. It is still the first day though, and I am in absolutely no rush to get into a relationship. Hell, I'll be surprised if I even get into one before my junior year.

Right after me, Mr. Jones called on another student named Taraji. She has probably one of the most unique names I have ever heard. I look around to see where she might be, and my eyes land on a girl standing up in the back of the class. She began to make her way up to the front and all I could do was stare. She's beautiful. She walks with so much confidence and pride. I've always admired anyone who held themselves a certain way, with poise. She told us her truths and a lie, but I did not get any of it. She was enchanting. She finished up and walked back to her seat. I was still in awe. I've never been blind to anyone's beauty, but especially not hers.

Everything about her is something else. Her outfit compliments her figure so nicely. Her hair is in a spunky ponytail to the back. She has these beautiful gold chains hanging on the front of her skirt. Her eyes are so charming and soft. The smile that she gave on her way off had me going through a loop. She's ethereal.

After she finally stops walking in slow motion and sits down, I'm snapped back into reality. Mr. Jones finishes with the rest of the students that are going up, and by the last person, the bell rang. All the students collect their things, packing up for third period

***

Hooray! Trying to kind of build some character relationships without immediately telling y'all how these characters are. This is a slow burn, but it's not slooowwww. Just medium :).

-TK