Chapter 3

TW: Mentions of suicide 

They made it to the cabins. Vincent noticed most of them had their own unique design. He specifically liked that obsidian black one. The skull and fire made it look even better.

"Cabin 13, the Hades Cabin," Sophia said, presumably noticing Vincent looking at it. "Nico is the head counselor there."

"Head counselor?"

She nodded. "Every cabin has one. Except for some."

"Why not?"

"The gods like to have... fun with mortals, making demigods. This place was made to protect us from monsters. A child of Zeus would live in the Zeus Cabin. Make sense?" Vincent nodded. "Good. Hera doesn't have demigod children. She's loyal to Zeus. Artemis is a virgin goddess. Only the Hunters use her cabin. The same would go for Athena because she's also a virgin goddess, but she does have kids. She just makes them magically."

Vincent frowned. "I'm not gonna remember all of that."

Sophia sighed. "Anyway, let's keep going." She turned to leave. "I wanna get this over with quickly. We're playing Capture the Flag tonight."

"That's cool." Vincent quickly followed her. "Are teams already picked out?"

"Yep, you'll be on Hermes' team."

"Why's that?"

"Since you're undetermined, you'll stay in the Hermes cabin. That's why you're on their team." She mounted Oodle. "Let's get you a weapon."

Sophia opened the door to a small shed. Vincent peeked inside. There were various weapons on the walls and more in boxes: swords, bows, arrows, staffs, and more. Sophia grabbed a sword from one of the baskets and gave it to him.

"How does it feel?" she asked.

Vincent raised an eyebrow. "It's heavy."

Sophia nodded. She reached for another one. It didn't feel right either. They tried a few more times with a bow, dagger, and an axe.

He frowned. "I don't want a weapon."

"You need a weapon," she said. "You need to protect yourself from monsters, don't you?"

"No, I don't," Vincent said. "I think I'll be fine. Plus, none of them feel right."

"At least take the one that feels best." She gestured to another basket. Vincent rolled his eyes, grabbing one. He examined the bronze sword. It felt too light. He could accidentally swing it too hard, and it would fling out of his hand. Although, it was better than the rest of them.

"Why do I have to pick from here? Can't I go find my own?"

"Normal metal doesn't work on monsters. We have to use celestial bronze. There are other metals too, like imperial gold, but celestial bronze is our main pick," Sophia explained. Her eyes glanced to the side but then back to Vincent. Vincent raised an eyebrow.

"Don't ignore me." Vincent jumped at the sudden voice next to him. He turned to see an older kid with obsidian black hair and eyes next to him. The shadows seemed to cling to him. "Chiron's not happy with you."

"Yeah? Well, Chiron can kiss my-"

"Ah, ah, ah," he interrupted her. "I get it. You don't wanna be head counselor, but you're the best pick."

"Am I? There are others who are older than me."

"But you've been here longer and been on more quests."

She scowled. "Shouldn't you be sleeping, Aither?"

"Shouldn't you stop being a brat?" She glared at him. "Thought so. I'll get someone else to give the new demigod a tour. You should go to the meeting." She huffed, shoving past him, getting on Oodle, and flying away.

Vincent waited until she was out of sight before speaking up. "How come she doesn't want to be a head counselor?"

Aither was silent for a moment. "The last head counselor, Liona... she recently committed by jumping off a cliff. Liona is also Sophia's full sister."