A Talk With Remmy

☆⋆⋆⋆☆   song: golden hour by jvke   ☆⋆⋆⋆☆

Lyra's P.O.V.

My footsteps echoed off of the corridor walls. The corridor was quiet and lonely, with no one walking through it except for me. It was not unusual for it to be empty, especially this time of night. In fact, if a professor saw me, they would probably put me in detention.

A window let in some moonlight. I was glad that I was hidden. I shouldn't have stolen from Harry, especially his prized Invisibility Cloak, but I would put it back before dawn arrives.

Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat, appeared at the end of the hall and hissed, somehow sensing my presence. I just kept walking, knowing that she was going to go find her caretaker as soon as I was out of sight.

I finally arrived at Remmy's office, and knocked, then entered when I heard "Come in."

I stepped through the doorway and closed the door. I ripped the Invisibility Cloak off and found Remmy reading at his desk by candlelight.

"Lyra, how are you?" Remmy asked, looking up from whatever he was reading.

"Fine," I said, sitting across from him.

Remmy leaned forward. "I know for a fact that when a woman says 'I'm fine,' they aren't actually fine."

I rolled me eyes, smiling. "I'm assuming you know about Harry and I?"

"I've heard stories."

"So you know about the fight that we had?"

"I do. He's worried about you."

I snorted. "That's rich, considering he's the one who started the fight."

Remmy smiled. "He's going through a lot. He's thirteen."

"So am I!"

"I know, and you may be going through even more than he is. But please remember, he's a boy and a newly teenager. He just found out that his best friend's father basically killed his parents, and that he is the murderer's godson."

'He isn't a murderer,' I wanted to say, but I bit my lip and didn't say anything.

"I suppose," I said instead.

Remmy smiled. "I'm not trying to say that you also don't have a lot going on, Lyra. I know you do. I just want to remind you to try and understand what he's going through before you get angry with him."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Has...." Remmy hesitated and cleared his throat. "Has anything else happened?"

I frowned. "No, why? Has something happened that you want to tell me about?"

"No," Remmy said, although he looked nervous. He looked out the window. "You should get to bed. Another day tomorrow full of confusion."

I nodded and stood. As I was leaving with the Invisibility Cloak covering my body, I heard Remmy whisper, "Stay safe, Lyra."

☆⋆⋆⋆☆☆⋆⋆⋆☆

There was one more thing I had to do before I could finally go to bed. I walked up to the third floor, where I entered a corridor with a statue of a humped witch. I looked around to make sure that no one was around, that no one was watching the statue, even though I knew that I was invisible.

I tapped the statue with my wand three times and whispered "Dissendium!"

The hump opened wide, revealing darkness. I stepped inside, sliding down into the passage, and soon I fell onto damp, cold earth. I stood, and said "Lumos!," igniting a light at the tip of my wand. I immediately saw the familiar, narrow, and earthy passageway.

It took about ten minutes to navigate the passageway, keeping my heart set on one thing: getting into Honeydukes without being caught.

I eventually ran out of path, and I knew that I needed to start climbing, that there was a ladder leading to a hidden trapdoor that entered Honeydukes. When I pushed the trapdoor open, I was immediately welcomed with darkness. I smiled, knowing that now was easy. I extinguished the light from my wand, and made my way up into Honeydukes. I unlocked the door separating the inside of Honeydukes from Hogsmeade, and stepped out into the cold.

There was a small sort of cave in a hill just outside of Hogsmeade, and I started my journey to go there.

It took about fifteen minutes, but it felt like thirty. My heart was pounding, although not as much as it was the first time I came to this cave. I stepped inside, finding a small candle lighting the back of it. Sitting in front of the candle was a man who once must've been very handsome, only now he was dressed in tattered, dirty clothes, mud and snow matted into his dark hair, shoes discarded. The only sign of humanity from him was his eyes, eyes so familiar, eyes I saw everytime I looked into the mirror.

The man looked up and smiled. "Hello, Lyra."

I sighed, wondering how he knew that I was there, since I still wore the Invisibility Cloak. I took it off and met his eyes.

"Hey, Dad."