Unwelcome Observations

Depuis le début

He didn't bother waiting for a response before unceremoniously dumping the Outer Rimmer on the ground and rushed out to find Ahsoka, who had managed to slip out undetected.

His commlink was already bursting with messages from different senators, all expressing their thanks for putting an end to Quog Gormo's (even his name was revolting, Anakin thought in bitter amusement) reign of terror. Apparently, this is far from the first time he's done something like this and they just got the proof they'd been searching for to end his career in the Galactic Senate.

But Ahsoka's wellbeing was and always would be his first priority. Everything else could wait.

After what felt like forever, he finally found her sitting on the roof, staring vacantly into the Coruscant night sky.

"You're freezing, Snips," Anakin said softly, fingers lightly pressing on her arm to check her temperature. "You'll catch a cold."

She shrugged non-commitally.

He shrugged off his blazer jacket, wrapping it tightly around his Padawan's shoulders and took a seat beside her, gazing out into the distance.

"I'm sorry, Master," the girl said after some time. "I shouldn't have let his words affect me so much." There was an alarming quietness in her voice and a sadness in her eyes that lingered for far too long for it to be only temporary.

It was so easy to forget just how young she was at times, and Anakin's chest ached at the hurt in her gaze. "You have absolutely nothing to apologize for."

"These people, they take what they have for granted but it's never enough. They keep giving in to their greed, seeing nothing but the possibility of having mounds of credits in their bank vaults and how to scheme their way into getting other materialistic wants, while there are others, like us, who risk our lives for them every day on the battlefield. What do we have? What do we earn from that? Aside from our lightsabers, we have nothing. But still, we're willing to do what's best for the greater good, even if that means putting our own lives at risk."

Ahsoka felt her fingers dig into her arms. Had it not been for the light of one of Coruscant's many moons, Anakin never would've noticed the tear tracks glistening on her cheeks. "Regardless of who I am or what I do, they only see me as an object, a means to get what they want."

He stayed quiet. What was there to say to that?

"That senator back there? You heard what he said- that I'm nothing to him but arm candy, a decorative object just for looks."

Skywalker opened his mouth to retort, but she wasn't done.

"He judged me by my species and gender," she grits out, frustration blazing in the Force. "To them, I'm just another living being in a galaxy of millions. I'm just another Jedi Padawan amongst the thousands of others out there. I'm nobody special, just Ahsoka."

A sob clawed its way out of her throat.

"I'm disposable."

Anakin felt that familiar protective fury begin to bubble beneath the surface. He loathed Gormo for the hurt he'd caused his beloved Padawan, but he couldn't let that show. Not here, and most certainly not in front of her. He had to stay calm.

His gloved hand took her hands in his, squeezing them ever so slightly. "Ahsoka, I need you to listen to me carefully. Can you do that?"

She squeezed his hand back twice — a signal for yes they'd established long ago for when words failed them.

Blue eyes met blue.

"You," Anakin said, "are anything but disposable. You are selfless, brave, determined, and one of the most powerful women I know. Your strengths are clear not just on the battlefield, but in day-to-day life too; ask anyone who knows you well. You've done so much to help others and you've changed so many lives for the better. You may not realize it, but there are people out there who look up to you and are forever thankful for the work you do." 

Disbelief flitted across her features — he knew she had a hard time believing in herself sometimes. He raised a gloved hand to her cheek, gently wiping a stray tear away.

"That sad excuse for a senator?" Anakin continued, "His career is about to crumble because tonight, he showed his true face to the wrong audience. He's the disposable one, not you." 

Anakin searched her eyes, willing her to believe him, to see herself through his eyes: the fiercely loyal, kind and intelligent young woman that she'd become. 

Her gaze eventually softened, and it was at that moment that he knew he'd gotten through to her, despite hearing and internalizing the hurtful remarks from earlier that night. 

She was his pride and joy, and no scumbag senator would ever get in the way of that. 

***

sooo... hi guys! so sorry for not updating on either wednesday or friday this week, but hopefully this extra long (longer than normal) chapter makes up for it!! i promise to stick to my updating schedule from now on though :) 

was the fluff/angst ratio appropriate in this? i hope so! i also hope it wasn't too heavy or hard to read or anything, and ive personally never been a victim of leering/harrassment so if something is triggering, please please lmk and i'll change it!

have a great day/night and as always, please send reqs! and of course, votes n comments r greatly appreciated <3 

- jazzy