Maxine says nothing at first as she stares outside the window of the car. "I just think she has the right to know, Michelle."

"Well, too bad and too late for that now, isn't it?"

"But, Michelle-" my older sister trails off. She tilted her head to look at me.

I shake my head, still looking straight ahead of the road as I drive, not meeting her eyes. Hearing her exhale a frustrated sigh.

"Look, don't worry about what's going with me and Ann, it's done. We're going home to mum's and we're going to have a wonderful vacation, yes? I'm going home to spend time with you guys. Do you have one of those days where you just want to unplug from everything? That's how I feel, this is what I need right now, Maxine. I don't want to think about anything else."

"Okay." Maxine then opens her purse. "Put your phone here."

"Huh?"

"Your phone. You said you needed this and I agree with you, having to check your phone all the time will only get you distracted and you will have the urge to contact the people that you're trying your hardest to avoid. Let's be honest, in your state right now, I know you will still call her. So, phone, now."

"But what if Abe or Max calls..."

"Now, Michelle."

I rolled my eyes at her and, with a defeated sigh, I reached for my phone and put it inside her purse.

"There. Happy?"

"Ecstatic, thank you very much."

A part of me wanted to hold on to that promise that I won't be thinking about anything when I go home, I have told myself that I don't want to think about what's making my heart ache and who it's been yearning for in the City.

A clean break, a trial-and-error wishing that being away from her would help me move on, impossible, but I should try. If only it's that easy, change a heart, then force it to not love and feel for her.

"Ah... home sweet home.." Maxine inhaled and breathed in the fresh breeze of air outside the place we grew up in. "Are you ready to see the entire village?"

I gave my sister a horrified look. "I swear to God, if mother has invited all of her friends in the house for a homecoming party or some shit for me, I'm out of here. I'm not even joking." I whined, dreading to be in a sea of people inside this enormous house.

My sister gave me a slight jab on the rib. "Ow!"

"You love to be around strangers, you work at a pub that's always jam-packed, and now you're telling me you couldn't handle a few of mum and dad's friends? Shit, you even hooked up and fell in love with a stranger." She saw the furrowing of my eyebrows that hit a nerve. "I'm sorry, too soon?"

I glared at her before getting out of the car. "Yes, attorney, too soon." I gritted, slamming the door.

Michelle felt so relieved when the door opened and there were no other people except for her parents and grandmother. She was engulfed in a long and tight embrace, feeling as her shirt got wet from her mother's and grandma's tears.

She can now breathe properly, feeling the overwhelming love from the people who have been waiting for her to come home after months and months of her mother persuading her to go home.

"Oh, my baby. Welcome home." Her mum sobbed, still holding her tight. "We've missed you, dad and I have been worried sick about you, dear." The emotional mother touched her daughter's face. "What happened to you? Are you okay? You've lost more weight and you look pale, Michelle."