Two-The beginning of a tragic love story

Depuis le début

"That's just idiotic!" Belle exclaimed in disbelief.

"Look, I've got– Look, m'lady, one of us is a qualified surgeon, the other one is carrying a bloody parasol and the other lady is at least attempting to distract the boy by whispering nonsense. So, thank you, but would you mind awfully sodding off."

Winnie rolled her eyes at the man. As if speaking such nonsense was so easy, then he should do it! She had to think of certain words to avoid in order to not make the situation worse, and with him and Belle arguing in the middle of a 'life and death' situation (as she liked to exaggerate), it did not help at all.

"Would you two stop fighting and start working with each other!" Winnie scolded. Making the two look at her pointedly.

  And so they were in their carriage. Despite Jack Dawkins' (the man who she found out his name from his 'servant'?) dislike. Leaving Mr.Smales behind, not that any of them cared at the moment.

Winnie sat next to Charlie, holding his hand to comfort him while Jack inspected his leg. Though the girl couldn't help but send a teasing grin to her sister as she was forced to sit next to him.

"Hey, it's not too bad, Charlie boy... I've seen much worse at sea. Plus, you're gonna have a terrific scar." Jack said.

"A stump." Belle corrected.

"What?!" Charlie yelled in fear.

Winnie laid him back and gently patted his shoulder. "She's just joking, Charlie." She said as she glared at the blonde woman. While the two continued to bicker, Winnie kept her eyes on the boy by her side. Her eyes softened as she continued to watch him in pain, and it triggered the melancholic memory that she had tried so hard to keep it buried and locked away.

'The cold hand rested in her warm ones. A beating heart, one and not two as the connection slowly disappeared as darkness fell upon them.'

Her gloved hand was unconsciously placed on her stomach.

"—Anything. Surgery without pain would revolutionise medicine. But I won't. Because the biggest risk to any surgeon is the addiction to feeling like God." Jack told the blonde. "You are gambling against death with only your wit for ante, and that is bloody exhilarating. But the risk is not yours. There is a person beneath your hands. And the moment the cutter forgets that, and gives into his ego, then the patient is lost. A surgeon is lost.

"Might I suggest you find your spine? It's usually around the back." Belle countered back.

Just then Jack noticed their change of surroundings and turned to the sisters with furrowed brows. "The hospital is that way." He pointed in the other direction. Winnie leaned over Charlie and saw that he was right before she faced Belle in confusion.

"We're not going to the hospital." The latter responded.

"What? Why? He doesn't have much time." He glanced between Charlie and Belle who ignored him, and looked at the youngest sister.

Winnie wished that she could help him, but she knew better to stand in the way of doctors and surgeons' ways. So she shrugged at him and returned her focus to the small boy.

Once they reached the residence, Winnie instantly remembered her father was throwing a party and that she was supposed to accompany her family as she was supposed to make her first reappearance since she had returned from London. The brunette glanced down at her dress, noticing the smudge of dirt and curse.

Belle, noticing this, leaned forward and whispered. "What's wrong?"

"I was supposed to make a reappearance during the party, remember?"

Before her sister could answer, Jack interrupted the two.

"What are we doing here, you ridiculous woman? This is the Governor's residence—" He trailed off. Eyes taking in the sight of the two sisters, and mentally groaned. "Oh, God. You're the Governor's daughters."

"Yes. We are the "chump" Governor's daughter. I'm Lady "Chump" Belle, and this is my sister, Lady "Chump" Winifred."

"You, sir, must be the infamous Dr. Jack Dawkins everyone speaks so fondly of, including my sister." Winnie grinned. She looked between the doctor and her sister and her smile widened as she noticed a small spark flickering between the two and she's not a fool when it comes to the art of attraction.

Even if it hadn't happened yet. There's something there.

And only time will tell.

A lightbulb flickered above her as the gears within her mind began to turn. "I believe I found the beginning of a lovely story." She turned to Charlie with a grin. "Don't you think?"

 "Don't you think?"