Chapter 7: Wonton Noodle (Part 1)

Saturday and Sunday often pass significantly faster than usual. Just eat, sleep, and it's only a matter of time before it's Monday. Although I would like the weekend to be extended for another two months so I wouldn't have to go back to being a slave for someone. For the past two days, I tried to hypnotize myself to pretend to forget all my problems and leave behind all the headaches. Just lied down and watched a movie, ordered fried chicken to eat, helped work at the coffee shop, and did everything according to the same way of the life that I used to have.

But who knew better than me that anxiety still followed me as a shadow everywhere, waiting for an unexpected moment to pop up and make my heart ache whenever it had a chance. Well, as they say, something is destined to happen to you; it will never escape you. No matter how much I pretended to forget, I couldn't escape the truth anyway. Just like there is no way I can escape Phum. The best solution and the right solution is accept it and face it.

I made an oath that if I saw that bastard, I'll slap the blood out of his mouth, I'll crush his throat to get revenge for daring to leave me waiting. But from what was happening right in front of my eyes right now, it seems that I would probably be better burying that thought as deep as possible if I don't want to become a corpse. Because Phum was sitting and watching his guys stomp on someone. Even if I see his now, no matter how angry I am, how much I want to walk closer and whisper softly in his ear "Bastard", I have to restrain myself.

The story was that after he left me wait in vain and disappeared for several days until I thought he had been swallowed by the earth*. Today he sent me a message saying that when my class is over, I have to go meet him at the back of the old gymnasium behind the Civil Engineering Section at 5p.m. Damn it, he set the time without even asking what time my class ends. University doesn't end classes of all the faculties at the same time like elementary school. How can I submit my work?

*A Buddhism myth, it's punishment to people who commit serious sin that cannot be forgiven. Even the earth cannot bear the weight of their sin until having to opened up and swallow them into the abyss of hell. They won't be reincarnated forever.

My faculty might not be very strict about class attendance times, but we have a lot of work. Because the truth is that art people do not live for art but live for work. Professors let us take leave. We could be late, we could be absent, we could die but we had to turn in work first. No matter what major, what year, we all have the same fate.

This semester I had five subjects. Each subject had work to submit every week. Some had even two. So how did I get the time to sleep? Think about it. Plus I still had to ready for a special job as I was this bastard's servant instead of using the little free time I had to drink liquor. But no matter what I say, it's useless. Anyway, here I am. In fact, I had been here for a while now. But I didn't dare walk in. I could only peek from a distance, only my head poked out, my body hid behind the wall.

I couldn't believe that those guys were so reckless to get into a fight in broad daylight. But I wasn't sure if it can be called a fight or not because it's just one person was kicked by a gang. This is the university. If you get caught, it will be a big deal.

Other guys, I didn't know any of them. But that's my friend Tan. He stood with his arms folded, looking at the brutality that had occurred with a blank expression on his face, as if he didn't understand. His cruel vibes was not different from that of Phum. For a moment, I was afraid of my own friend. Evil. It's like this Tan isn't the Tan I know. The Tan I know is a very nice person. I don't know where he got the blood of King Taksin. Even though he is very nice to his people, why can he be so bad to other people?

* King Taksin or the King of Thonburi, whose reign was characterized by numerous wars

Chan and Q had to keep following and joining the fight with him. It's not that the two of them have a passion for being gangsters, but they were afraid that Tan would be shot or stabbed to death without no one seeing that, so they had to follow him every time. If we're talking about being reckless and stubborn, I'd say Tan is no less than Phum. He is even more foolhardy. It's just hidden behind his smile and playfulness.