Canoe People

"I'm starting to think you only come around because you want me to feed you. What, do the people over on your island not feed you anymore?" Hawaiʻi said, laughing a little to herself. Niʻihau didn't answer at first, focusing instead on the mochiko chicken in front of him. "Like I said before, I could show you how to cook."

"And like I said, last time I tried, I ended up ruining a friend's wok, and they never forgave me for it. I am paying off their grandchildren for the wok being ruined."

"Chinese family?"

"Yep."

"Well, then I completely side with them." Hawaiʻi said. "You can't go and ruin a perfectly good wok and expect to live."

Niʻihau rolled his eyes, shaking his head at his sister's words. "And that's why I will come and steal my sister's cooking instead."

"I suppose it makes sense." Hawaiʻi said, shrugging. "So... what's up with you?"

"Hui says you don't let her meet the rest of the Polynesians. Why not?" Niʻihau asked, seemingly trying his best to sound pleasant.

"Same reason I originally wanted to skip out on those get-togethers myself. Too many questions." Hawaiʻi said. "And I told them I was the native personification. She would cause too many questions. Why do you ask?"

"Just wanted to talk about things. Mostly things that Hui has said." Niʻihau said, tilting his head.

"Hm." Hawaiʻi hummed a little tune. "And what did she say?"

"That she likes hula, and she likes soft things." Niʻihau said. "That she thinks having a crush is stupid. That she doesn't know how to be your daughter."

"What?"

"Apparently it's hard to be, because you're too..." Niʻihau gestured blankly.

"Too what?" Hawaiʻi asked.

"Too you." Niʻihau shrugged. "Too much of a perfect Hawaiʻi. And it's more than just a idolisation. It's hero worship."

Hawaiʻi didn't answer that. Of course she knew Kālahui had some weird hero worship going on. It was just... she didn't know how to deal with it, not yet. She'd figure it out, Hui had to grow out of it.

"Hawaiʻi. Look at me." Niʻihau said. "I wanted to let you know."

"Why? I know about it. I try to stop it when it gets too big." Hawaiʻi said, "Kids, especially kids of our station, are going to do that, or else they hate their predecessors. Most of us grow out of it. I know I did."

"Did you really?" Niʻihau said, quietly, calmly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Am I allowed to speak without you getting angry at me and blowing your top, or should I save this for another day, Hawaiʻi?" Niʻihau said, not meeting her eyes. He had a strange sort of walking on thin ice when he spoke about these things now, and as such, Hawaiʻi tried to keep her temper around him to a minimum.

"Of course." Hawaiʻi said. She glanced at Niʻihau, who was leaning on his one arm, thinking about things.

"I don't want you to let that go to your head. Not like Papa did."

"What makes you think it went to Papa's head?"

"The way... the way our siblings used to speak about Papa, like he was perfect, like everything was made for him and that they were lucky to have him as a father," Niʻihau started off strong, but slowed, sounding like he was walking on eggshells, choosing every word carefully. "It's how Hui talks about you, you know. Sure, she doesn't claim you to be a goddess, but she refuses to acknowledge that you can make mistakes."