prologue

As Rias Gremory, heir to the Gremory clan, I've been saddled with expectations that weigh heavier than a ton of bricks. Sure, folks might see me as living the high life, surrounded by wealth and luxury, but beneath it all, I'm drowning in a sea of self-doubt and resentment.

Right from the get-go, my brother was the golden child, born with powers that made him a force to be reckoned with. Me? I was just average, always playing second fiddle to his greatness.

The constant disappointment oozing from my parents' every glance, the pitying looks from my own flesh and blood—yeah, it stung. I wanted to prove myself, to make my mark on the world, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't measure up.

My mastery of demonic arts, something passed down through generations of Gremory women, was nothing to write home about. Meanwhile, my nephew was already outshining me without breaking a sweat.

I battled feelings of inadequacy every single day, each failure a punch to the gut. But I refuse to let their expectations define me. I'll carve out my own path, one that's not dictated by anyone else's standards.

Until that day

But it all came crashing down when I was currently in front of my parents zeoticus and venelena gremory

Zeoticus Gremory's voice cut through the air like a whip, each word laced with venom.

Zeoticus:What do you mean, Rias? You dare question your duty to the Gremory clan? You, who have brought nothing but shame upon our name?

I stood there, frozen in place, as his words seared through me like hot coals.

Rias:But Father, I cannot marry Riser Phenex. He's... he's...

"SILENCE!" His command echoed off the walls, leaving a heavy silence in its wake. His eyes bore into mine with disdain, his disappointment palpable.

Zeoticus:You speak as if you have a choice in the matter. You, who have failed time and time again to live up to the expectations placed upon you.

My mother, Venelena Gremory, stood silently beside him, her expression unreadable.

Venelena : you're father is right, Rias

she finally spoke, her voice soft but firm.

Venelena:Marrying Riser Phenex is not a request. It is a command, one that you will obey if you have even an ounce of loyalty left to our family.

I felt the weight of their expectations pressing down on me, suffocating me with their suffocating embrace.

Rias:But what about love, Mother? What about happiness?

Venelena's lip curled into a sneer, her eyes flashing with anger.

Venelena:Love? Happiness? Such trivial concerns are beneath you, Rias. You are a Gremory, and as such, you will do what is best for the family, regardless of your personal desires.

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes as I struggled to find my voice.

Rias:But what if I cannot do it? What if I cannot bring myself to marry a man I despise?

Zeoticus's expression hardened, his gaze piercing through me like a blade.

Zeoticus:Then you will be disowned. Cast out from the Gremory clan, stripped of your name and your inheritance. Is that what you want, Rias? To be a disgrace to your family?

I felt as though the ground had been ripped out from beneath me, leaving me adrift in a sea of despair.

Rias:No, Father