Chapter 1 New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

The young boy gave a startled Yelp and jumped back. Every pokemon he'd encountered before this one was friendly, but not this one.

He tried to reach out to pet it once again. He just had to show the Pokemon he just wanted to pet it. But the agitated Raticate swiped at the boy scratching him in the arm. The boy wailed in pain as he now looked at the pokemon in fear.

The Raticate began to advance on the boy. But it was suddenly struck by something... Another pokemon. This pokemon's round body had no arms or legs and floated in the air. There was a purple-colored gas that surrounded its body. It had big eyes and visible fangs that seemed to form an eerie grin.

Something about this mysterious pokemon made the boy feel uneasy. His skin crawled and his stomach lurched inside him with dread even though it was taking a defensive position in front of him.

The two pokemon stared at each other. The boy sat back against a tree holding his arm, wondering what he could've done to cause a pokemon to react like this.

The Raticate lunged at the opposing pokemon, its teeth began to glow as it bit down on the pokemon, giving it a cut over its left eye. The gassy pokemon winced in pain but shook off the attack and proceeded to shoot purple waves of energy at the angry Raticate that radiated out if its body. The boy could feel his head start to spin as the effects of the mysterious pokemon's attack began to affect him as well.

Raticate was suffering the same effect but many times stronger. It reeled back in a state of confusion, as it tried to keep itself upright. It managed to recover and slowly got its bearings. It looked at the floating pokemon, then the boy. With a muffled snort, it decided that this boy wasn't worth any more trouble, and scooped up the young Rattata and ran off into the bushes.

The floating pokemon then turned to look at the young boy. The boys eyes widened at the thought of what this pokemon was going to do to him now. He had never seen a pokemon like this and had no idea what he could be in for.

The floating pokemon hovered right in front of him, inches from his face. He was certain at this point he could see through the pokemon like it didn't even belong in this world. As he stared into its cold dead looking eyes the pokemon did something that surprised him. The pokemon suddenly stuck out a large tongue and its eyes seemed to turn upside down and shouted "GHAAAASTLY!" and gave out a big jolly laugh. The boy's expression turned from worry, into a small smile, then burst out laughing too.

But it was cut short by another voice.

"Kenji are you out here?" The boy looked out to see his dad, Norman coming towards him. The boy then looked back to say goodbye to the floating pokemon, but when he turned back, it was gone.

Norman came up to the boy and knelt beside him. "Kenji, what have I told you about running off like that you had me and your mother worried sick," he began, but stopped when he noticed Kenji's scratched arm.

"I can't take my eyes off you for a second can I," he said chuckling a bit. " What happened, did you fall"?

"No," the young boy shook his head, "a pokemon did this," he said in a saddened tone. The boy recounted the events of what had happened to his father who listened closely.

"Why would that Raticate attack me like that?" the boy asked looking up at his dad.

"Well, I'd think it was just defending its kid," Norman said smiling.

"But I wasn't gonna hurt it or nuthin" the young boy said sadly.

"Well she didn't know that, now did she", Norman added. The boy paused to think.

"Not every pokemon out there is going to like you, but if you do your best to help them understand your feelings and show them the proper respect. I think you'll be just fine," Norman said standing up.