Why hadn't Akul crossed the threshold and taken her hand?

*

She was angry when she heard Akul's footsteps on the porch, the scuffling of his shoes, and the thud of the basket placed before the door. Eris ripped it open, but he was already gone.

She glanced at the basket filled with oranges and wheat, a few potatoes, and a handful of greens. She kicked the basket over, watching as the oranges rolled and their peels got coated in dirt.

"Akul!" Eris screamed, her voice hoarse. "Akul! Take me to her!"

She stormed down the steps. "Akul!" Eris knew he heard her; he always had.

"Akul!" In a huff a rage, she tore through the wildflower field, all the brittleness of her bones giving way to the strength of her resolve. "Akul! Take me to Daya!"

She tripped and hit the ground. Her head throbbed, and she saw a figure come toward her. She closed her eyes and exhaled. Akul had come for her. He'd take her to Daya and she would be rid of this world for good.

When she opened her eyes, a hand was outstretched before her. She took it, only it wasn't Akul's.

Blue eyes in a pale face stared back at her instead. And he grinned.

Eris got to her feet. The stranger watched her intently. He wore robes like Akul's but blue and white. His hair was short. There was a dagger stashed in his waistband. An earring of a silver moon, dangled from his earlobe.

She dusted herself off. "And you are?"

His smile grew and she understood. He radiated coldness, and his skin shone with white luster. Very much a moon given shape. Not a man then, a god.

He gave no signal that he would answer her, so Eris whipped around, heading back to their hut. She would search for Akul again at daybreak, and hunt him down the day after, and the next day, if need be. Whatever it took.

"It's a shame about Daya," the man said and Eris froze.

A breeze blew between them, flowers battering Eris's shins as she stared the god down.

Though he conveyed sympathy, his eyes sparkled with delight.

"You're A'Cubei then," she said. "God of misery. Come to revel in my tragedy." She spun on him again, seeking to hold no court with any god beside Akul. Only Akul could give her what she wanted.

"My brother speaks of me." Eris heard the breaking of flower stems, knew A'Cubei was following her, but saw no need to turn around. She'd slam her door on him soon enough. "I wonder what kind of picture he paints with his words."

"A pathetic one," Eris hissed. She could make out their hut, and Daya's oak tree in the distance.

A'Cubei chuckled. "Then you and I are the same, dear sister."

Eris's fingers curled into fists. She rounded on him. "I am not–" He was right behind her, grinning. Around him, the flowers had withered, and the path he'd made through the field was black and winding.

He leaned forward, meeting Eris's gaze. "You are what, sister? Tell me. I'm eager to listen." Scales glistened along A'Cubei's forehead.

She recoiled, his very presence suffocating. "I'm furious."

"Of course you are. And why wouldn't you be? Brother had the power to save the girl," Eris's eyes settled on A'Cubei's face, "yet he didn't."

"He could have–" Eris started, the words flat, her tongue thick.