10

Seeing Reinhardt, who was escorted by Dietrich, to the Thanksgiving dinner, the little boy was outright shocked.
Dietrich seated Reinhardt in the middle of the table in a graceful manner, then tried to sit right next to the child. But the little boy jumped up and hid behind a pillar in the dining room. Of course, the maids who attended the meal were embarrassed because of this.
Reinhardt called for Wilhelm kindly, but the child shook his head and did not approach. Dietrich asked, "Shall I drag him out?"
"He was abused. An unfamiliar adult will be intimidating."
"Is that so?"
Reinhardt deliberately ate dinner loudly instead of forcing the child to come. The geese that the captain of the guard had caught were full of fat in preparation for winter.
"Um, delicious! Very tasty!"
"... ... ."
"There is a lot of meat, and so greasy. Delicious!"
Dietrich wrinkled his forehead instead of commenting on her table manners. She was eating so ravenously that she would never be seen as a woman who was once the Crown Princess. Reinhardt didn't care.
"If you don't eat this much, you shouldn't be harsh on young children who complain about plain meals."
"If anyone sees this, nobody will think that you have raised even one child... ... ."
Seeing Reinhardt, the child quietly poked his head out from behind the pillar, but that was all.
As he watched Dietrich eat, the child ran across the aisle. A child who loved bread so much ran away without having a drink at dinner. She didn't know how much he hated unfamiliar adults.
Reinhardt sighed. Of course, dinner was all eaten. It was because this year may be the last time they could have such a grand dinner in this damn estate.
If he starved for a few days, maybe that child would come to his senses. It was Reinhardt's plan.
***
However, the child was more difficult than expected. Reinhardt put her hands on her waist.
"Wilhelm."
When she stressed "Will" and said "Helm", the child, wherever he was, would stick his head out and smile when he saw her. But today's child was stubborn.
"No."
"What is it? Can't you come?"
"... ... no... ... ."
The child replied in a dejected voice from behind a pillar in his room. He still hadn't shown his face. Dietrich, who was standing behind her, clicked his tongue.
"As expected, I'll... ... ."
"Nope. If you do, it will only backfire."
It was Wilhelm's room. The child locked the door and didn't come out of the room for two days after Thanksgiving dinner. His favorite meal was also ignored. At great resistance, Reinhardt was on the verge of shoving her way into Wilhelm's room today. For reference, the barging in was done by Dietrich. It was a bonus that Reinhardt clapped her hands at the excessive use of force that completely broke the door hinge.
"Wilhelm, come out."
"... ... ."
"If you don't come out... ... ."
Reinhardt said that and pursued her lips at a loss. "What terrifying threats can be made to children of this age?" When she asked Dietrich after thinking about it, Dietrich frowned.
"How old is he?"
"Sixteen?"
"Fuck. That's insane."
At her words, Dietrich involuntarily uttered a curse word. Reinhardt raised her eyebrows.
"Did you just curse at your liege for being crazy?"
"I did. No, I was surprised that he is sixteen years old."
"I think so too. Too small and skinny."
He ate well and grew up some, but Wilhelm was still small. But Dietrich shook his head.
"What? Sixteen-year-old dwarfs are everywhere. There are not only one or two soldiers who are stunted due to lack of food."
"Is that so?"
"Not all soldiers come from rich estates."
"Then?"
At Reinhardt's curious question, Dietrich sighed.
"I find it absurd that a 16-year-old child acts more childish than a newborn foal."
"... ... ."
"When I was sixteen, I went to war with Marquis Linke and served the Marquis."
Reinhardt was taken aback at the sudden popping out of her father's name, then laughed.
"Yes, you did. You were my father's squire."
It was a nostalgic tale. Dietrich looked down at her with friendly green eyes, then sighed again and asked.
"What are you going to do with that child?"
"Well."
If she told him he would later grow up to become a hero of the empire, Dietrich would treat her like a madwoman.
The story of the princess who stabbed the prince before going mad in the rough terrain for two months was quite plausible. Reinhardt smiled bitterly and opened her mouth.
"He is the one who saved my life."
"... ... Do you usually go this far for someone who saved your life?"
"Why not? Aren't stories of virgins giving their all to the man who saved their lives commonplace?"
Dietrich snorted.
"First of all, I really want to object to the statement that thing is a man."
"I agree with that. And?"
"From that point of view, the Viscountess must have been very sincere toward me as well."
"What are you talking about?"
"When you were nine years old, you were picking apricots from an apricot tree and fell—"
"Shit. Stop talking."
Reinhardt smirked as she cursed.
It was Dietrich who took care of her during her shrewd tomboy days. Seeing Dietrich's green eyes that caught her when she fell from the apricot tree, her heart ached for days. Reinhardt grinned and accepted.
"That's why you said what you said to my father."
Dietrich was startled, and then replied back as if he was serious.
"Even if you repay a favor with an enemy, it's a payback."
"It was the woman who would become the Crown Princess."
"Think about it. If the woman promised to the Crown Prince confesses her love to me, what do you think will happen to the Ernst estate?"
"First of all, my father would have set fire to your bed for belatedly coveting his precious daughter!"
The two giggled and smiled. It was because the little boy slowly stuck her head out from behind the pillar.
Reinhardt, who had forgotten what she had been grinning before, looked at Wilhelm with a stern look.
"Wilhelm. Aren't you coming out right now?"
"... ... ."
The child still stared at the two without saying a word. To be precise, he was staring at Dietrich.
Dietrich, who looked at the child with his arms crossed, snorted as if he was serious.
"It's amazing that he's sixteen. Viscountess."
"What?"
"Are you going to leave that guy to me for just ten minutes?"
Reinhardt raised his eyebrows. Dietrich crossed his arms and scoffed.
"I think the Viscountess thinks he's a kitten that you should hold in your arms and carry around because he's the size of a kitten."
"Not really."
"This is exactly what you are doing right now. Anyway."
Dietrich beckoned to the child. It was very a disrespectful and rude gesture. Reinhardt shrugged and turned back.
He meant for her to leave the room, but Reinhardt had no intention of leaving in the first place. The child must be afraid of an adult man, so if even Reinhardt left the room, Wilhelm would have no one to depend on.
When Dietrich saw her not leaving, he snorted lightly and strode towards the child.
The child flinched, but Wilhelm's room was not very spacious, so he was soon encroached on by Dietrich. Dietrich looked down at the child for a moment, then stood with his arms crossed in front of him.
"Wilhelm."
"... ... ."
"I heard the name Wilhelm. It is the name the Viscountess gave you."
The child looked up at Dietrich with disgruntled eyes.
Reinhardt stood from a distance and watched the whole thing nervously. Dietrich was a huge man. Reinhardt was also quite tall, but Dietrich was one head taller than her. His shoulders were wide enough to cover all of Reinhardt, twice. So, how threatening would it feel to a skinny Wilhelm?
"If you act like that, you will never be the man worthy of that name for the rest of your life."
"... ... ."
"You are sixteen years old. I was proposed to by Reinhardt at the age of eighteen."
Reinhardt's face turned red at the sudden words and the innocently said name. She gasped.
"Dietrich, you idiot!"
Dietrich looked at her after hearing the screams of his childhood friend. He smiled and turned around. The child was now blatantly hostile to him.
"Do you hear that? I'm only speaking the truth."
"... ... ."
"Don't pretend you don't understand. Seeing what you're doing, I realized earlier that you're a devious thing who knows how to hold back. You probably already know this. Even if he looks like a child, if a boy is sixteen, he is a monster."
Reinhardt was amazed. What the hell was that Dietrich talking about to that little boy who couldn't even speak?
But Dietrich didn't care, and he tapped the floor with his right foot. The sound of quality leather boots hitting the floor was quite loud. Perhaps it was because Luden Castle was built from material that resonated well.
Reinhardt was distracted by the sound, but she wasn't a child. Wilhelm was constantly glaring at Dietrich. Even with that loud noise, he didn't even look at the floor. Dietrich laughed.
"That concentration is worth watching."
"... ... ."
"When you're eighteen, will you just stare at Reinhardt with astonished eyes like a rabbit from behind a pillar?"
"You're crazy even if you call me a Viscountess."
Reinhardt's complaints intervened, but Dietrich didn't care.
"Is that so?"
"... ... no."
It was the same word as before, but it was clear that the tone had changed. Reinhardt's eyes widened. The little boy had come out from behind the pillar, clenched his fists, and stared at Dietrich.
"No."
"Good night."
Dietrich laughed.
It was the moment when the worst teacher and student of Luden Castle crossed paths.