Chapter 10

The Nora returned hours later just in time to see the leader grabbing Avad forcefully and dragging him violently to someplace down the stairs. Cautiously, she descended in the direction they had gone and activated her focus, seeing Avad in a room with another man, the leader of the place. The entrance to the fortified cell was guarded by a kestrel. Perfect. Upon arrival, she greeted him and stayed 'patrolling' by his side. A good excuse, reinforcing the prison's surveillance, and if that sentinel happened to leave his post... A shout startled her.

"Damn you!" came from inside the room where the king was imprisoned. "You have no other choice! Do you understand?" The general's voice sounded clear, energetic, and filled with anger. Avad's voice, on the other hand, was nothing but murmurs that couldn't be deciphered from the outside. "Do you think you're clever, huh? Well, know that your formality and your maneuvers won't save you!"

"AAAH!" Avad's loud cry startled Aloy once again. She began to grow impatient. Within seconds, there was a sharp thud followed by a groan, and then the door opened, startling the two waiting outside. The leader appeared, slamming the door behind him.

"You." he ordered, pointing with a blood-stained sword at the kestrel standing next to the hunter, tossing a set of keys also splattered with blood to her. "Chain him to the wall and then bring those to me. And you," he added, turning towards the impostor, "watch that no one enters or leaves that cell. Understood?" Both of them nodded nervously. "You can go in and torture him, but don't kill him, or you'll be next." he warned. Her 'companion' did as his superior commanded, and then followed him. Seconds later, when the two were gone, Aloy entered the room, anxious about the state in which she would find the Sun-King. Once inside, she found Avad chained as they had ordered. His wretched appearance spoke for itself. He had a vacant look, with his head reclined backward, although at least this time, his face was not covered, revealing his pitiful condition. Blood dripped from his nose, forming a trail that entered his mouth, diluting in his saliva and mixing with the blood also oozing from his split lip.

"W-what...? Do you s-still want to... negotiate?" he asked, trying to appear strong and defiant, but his voice was weak and faltering. He was half-leaning against the wall with his arms raised by the chains. His whole body was marked by various blows, and his right arm had a cut that also drenched his arm and dripped blood.

Some of his right-hand fingers looked devastating. They were in an odd position, with a color ranging between red and purple, accompanied by noticeable swelling. They were likely broken. Furthermore, his bloodied knuckles had raised skin, exposing the flesh. Then, Aloy lowered her gaze to see that his shoes were missing. In their place were bare feet covered in dust, dirt, wounds, and scratches, still entangled in the rope. His pants were full of holes, especially around the knees, revealing wounded skin. The t-shirt appeared similar, stained with the blood that had fallen on it, as well as the surroundings. She found his crown discarded in a corner, also showing signs of mistreatment.

"Avad, it's me, Aloy." she said with a gentle voice, approaching slowly to avoid startling him as she removed the disguise that hid her identity, revealing her red hair.

"What?" he asked, squinting as if making a great effort to focus. "Are you... really... you? Nah... Stop playing with me," he said resentfully. It was evident that he struggled to articulate words.

"It's really me." she replied, gently cradling his exhausted face with both hands, sensing that he was bathed in sweat, with a higher than normal temperature. It was quite likely he had a fever from being exposed to the sun for too long. He instantly recognized the warm and soft touch of her skin.

"By the Sun... Aloy...! What are you doing here? H-how did you find me?" he asked, scared.

"I followed the clues in the palace, and your trail led me here." she said, still holding his face, trying to calm him. But instead of relief, he seemed even more restless. Disturbed, he said, "No, no, please, leave... if t-they see you here..." he stammered, filled with anguish.