23 ; the fight for my life

Start from the beginning

I tried offering Max a smile, but I wasn't sure if it actually reached my lips.

"Hang on. Don't leave me. Don't do this to me." How could he be so very selfish, thinking about him and his pain when I was dying? How could he be so selfish thinking of his pain when he brought so much more pain upon me?

"Max..." I wanted to scream at him, I wanted to punch him, force him off my body —

But I didn't have the strength.

"I love you." I sobbed. I was so desperately hanging on for dear life, clutching onto his wrist. If these three words would be the last I got to say, then so be it. I needed Max to know that I had never stopped loving him, that I still held so much love for him inside me.

"Please," He breathed, tears now visible in his eyes. "Stay. I want you. I need you." He laid a hand on my cheek and I could feel the warm blood on my cheek. It was sticky and it made me cringe in more than one ways.

I lost feelings in my legs now, too.

A smile came to my lips as I realised that I reached my last few moments and I got to spend them with the love of my life.

My eyes grew heavy and it became harder to fight against the tiredness in my body.

Breathing was harder when Max put his other hand on the wound too. He pushed down on my stomach so much that I felt like the air was pushed out of my lungs.

I was laying in a puddle of my own blood.

"Tilly," Max sobbed in his shoulder, the tears falling into my own blood. "Don't do this to me. Please. I beg you." His voice was cut off by his violent sobs that cut off his air.

"I have always loved you. I couldn't stop loving you. You are my person, you are the love of my life. You are the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I want you to be the mother of my children. I want you to love me for the rest of my days, even after. Ever since I first laid my eyes on you, you were everything I ever wanted. Everything I could ever dream of. You're the most perfect person I have ever met and I'm so madly in love with you it physically hurts me."

I sobbed.

This was the most beautiful thing that ever came to my ears.

With a glance at Kelly, I knew it hurt her. I knew that Max just broke her heart because he said he had never loved her in the way he loved me.

But that wasn't important. I shouldn't care about that.

"And if you leave me, I will never be able to love one in that way again. I will never function the way I do with you again. I will not be myself without you." His voice trembled more than it had before. I could see that my body was pale and that the puddle of blood grew more and more.

My phone started ringing.

It startled me, but my body had no strength to flinch anymore.

This was it.

I was loosing the fight of my life.

The fight for my life.

I had fought for so long and now, it would end.

It was pathetic, thinking of what I have been through and then dying because of a bullet wound. Because someone thought that I had to die, because someone thought I deserved to die.

He didn't have the right to decide.

My eyes grew so heavy that I could barely fight to keep them open, to look at the man I have loved for so long.

I didn't want him to see.

"Kiss me." My voice was barely a whisper. It had no strength to keep its vocals, it vanished into thin air.

I wanted to feel his lips on mine as the life left my body.

Max was shaking his head so hard I was afraid it would snap.

"Kiss me." I repeated, the strength now fully leaving my body. I could feel my tense body relax, could feel it getting light, could feel the pain ease. "Please. I don't want to go thinking it was all a lie."

I used my last strength for those pathetic words, for this pathetic plead.

My throat was slowly cutting off the oxygen.

Another sob escaped Max' lips as he gently pressed his lips on mine. They were trembling. The kiss tasted salty from our tears and bitter from the things we knew we couldn't say to each other. It was heavy with the things we wanted to say —

But we had no time left.

And with the butterflies erupting one more time, I let go.

I am sorry mother.

I am sorry father.

I am sorry Mick.

I am sorry Lewis.

I am sorry George.

I am sorry my lovely brothers.

I am sorry for the pain I would bring upon them, for the utter emptiness they will feel, that will fill up the space in their hearts that once belonged to me.

━━━DISCLAIMER,
It happened. The moment we all waited for. Max finally confessed his love. A bit late, though.