Stitches

"You're not playing today Virat." AB said halfway through their bus ride to the stadium. Virat was sitting on the last seat with Shadab sleeping peacefully on his shoulder.

"But biscuit." Virat whined.

"No Virat. You got fucking stitches in your hand." AB whispered.

"Shh." Virat said and pointed towards Shadab who cuddled more into him. He placed a soft kiss on his forehead and turned towards AB.

"I'm the captain and I'm going to play." Virat said and turned to look out of the window. Shadab stirred a little and asked "Why are you both fighting again?"

"I was just saying Virat shouldn't play today." AB turned towards Shadab hoping maybe Virat will listen to his boyfriend.

"He shouldn't but he will." Shadab said with a soulless voice and looked at Virat angrily.

"Shaddy we talked about this?" Virat whined. He looked at AB, who smirked knowing Virat is gonna get grilled.

"Don't talk to me if you're not gonna listen to me." Shadab said to put his head back on Virat's shoulder. Virat lightly shaked Shadab and said "If you're not talking to me, then why are you using my shoulder as your pillow." He pointed out in a teasing tone.

"It's mine not yours." Shadab said and closed his eyes.

As soon as Virat confirmed Shadab is fast asleep again. He turned towards AB and said "See, even Shadab thinks it's not that bad if I play."

"Because he doesn't know how serious the injury is. HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT YOU CAN PERMANENTLY LOSE YOUR HAND IF THE STITCHES GET DISPLACED." AB shouted while trying to calm himself down.

"It's a fine biscuit. I'll manage." Lightly brushing Shadab's hair aside from his eyes, he placed a gentle kiss on his head and closed his eyes to relax for the rest of the journey.

RCB won the toss and chose to bowl first. The match was at Chinnaswamy so they know it'll be easier to chase the target.

Virat took the ball and gave it to Shadab for the 7th over. Shadab was tense as he wasn't sure because the partnership had been going for too long and Virat should have gone for a pacer instead of him.

"Are you sure?" Shadab said with a panicked look on his face.

"I know you'll get us the breakthrough." Virat said and passed the ball to Shadab while lightly holding his hand for a minute. "I trust you." He said and ran back to his position.

Shadab looked at the sky and got in the position to bowl. After two dot balls, the batsman picked the ball and everybody thought that it'll go for the six, but Virat jumped halfway in the air and caught the ball with one hand. Instantly he left the ball as it was his injured hand.

He was just looking at his hand when Shadab literally jumped on him with happiness and he had to hold him in place.

"WE GOT THE WICKET!! YAYYY." Shadab was so happy with being the one to break the long partnership.

"Told you so." Virat said with a biggest smile on his face hiding his pain behind it. Watching Shadab smile is his favorite thing in the world.

After the celebration, Virat had to get his hand checked as it was hurting him more. Nobody realized that the catch nearly broke his stitches.

"Virat you can't bat today." The team doctor said while examining his hand.

"But it is a qualifier sir." Virat said. The opponent team has scored around 220, he has to bat, there is no other way.

"It will do more damage to your hand." As soon as the doctor said this both Shadab and AB entered the room.

"Vi, you're not playing." Both of them said at the same time.

"I already told you both. I'M PLAYING AND I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT THIS ANYMORE."

Virat shouted at the end.

"But Virat–."

"No AB. I'm done talking with you." Virat said and started walking towards the door.

"ISTG.Virat. I'll not talk to you ever, if you set foot in that field." Shadab said and Virat was going to open the door.

Virat turned around and walked towards Shadab. AB and the doctor decided to walk outside to give them some privacy.

"Shadab," Virat said.

"No Vi. You don't understand. I can't lose you." Shadab said with tears in his voice. Not able to see the tears in Shadab's eyes, Virat quickly put his hands on his cheeks to wipe them.

"Shhhh. Baby no crying." Virat said and joined their foreheads.

"You will not play." Shadab said "Please Virat."

"But Shadab, We have a chance this time. Chance to win that trophy." Virat looked at Shadab with tears in his eyes "A Chance to finally have that trophy in my hands after 15 years. I want that more than anything. To hold that trophy, but I'll always want you by my side."

At that moment, Shadab realized how important this is for Virat. That's why he is not even caring about his injury. He closed his eyes and released a long breath. He looked at Virat and said "Fine."

"What do you mean?" Virat asked confusedly.

"You can play, but promise me you'll not push yourself. You will come back as soon as it starts hurting."

"I promise. Jaan." Virat said and placed a kiss on Shadab's forehead.

Virat scored a smashing 113 runs and got his team to the semi finals. He pointed his bat towards Shadab who was on his feet cheering for him on his century and kissed the promise ring he had around his neck.

Update after a very long time. I've recently moved to another country for my studies, so it's been very hectic. I'll try to upload as much as I can. Please enjoy!