4. thinking about ryu

"So, what do you think of Ryujin, now that you've met her in real life?"

Lia's bright voice roused Yeji, and she looked up from her maths homework.

"Ryujin... she's kind of cute, I guess. I see why you like her, yeah. I don't know why she's been ignoring me though, since we barely even know each other?"

It was true. All week, Ryujin had purposely avoided her whenever possible, but Yeji had still managed to catch her staring at her, which was awfully confusing.

Lia and Chaeryeong didn't seem to be completely sure what was bothering her, though. They schemed quietly in class, making sure neither Ryujin nor Yeji could hear their secret conversations, but hadn't shared anything decent with Yeji, just 'she's probably dealing with stuff at home'.

Lia's voice became sympathetic, and quickly, sad.

"I know. Ryujin's been oddly quiet, not just around you but all of us, and it's kinda worrying me. I don't know what to do, though."

It really didn't take a lot for Lia to become emotional, and already, Yeji could see telltale signs of tears in her close friend's glossy eyes.

"Lia-"

As she expected, she didn't even manage to get a word out before Lia broke down, collapsing onto Yeji's carpet with a sob.

"I just w-want to help, but she won't tell me an- anything! What did I d- do? Why is she mad?"

She cried, burying her face in her hands.

Immediately, Yeji crouched down to comfort her friend.

"Lia, you didn't do anything. Ryujin's not mad at anybody."

...was she mad at Yeji, though?

"Ryujin's- does she have, like, a sibling we could ask?"

Lia looked up, clapping her hand over her mouth. Tears stained her , but she was no longer crying.

"I'm freaking dumb. Get my phone, please?"

Yeji smiled at the sudden energy that returned when Lia had an idea.

"Yes, ma'am."

She bowed and tossed Lia's phone to her.

"Thank you, peasant."

Lia grinned as she unlocked her phone and found KakaoTalk.

"Shin... Shin Ryujin, Shin- why the fuck do I have Shindong in here, uhm, Shin Yuna."

The name struck a bell in Yeji's memory, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

"Um, how old is Yuna?"

"She's fifteen, why?"

Fifteen... So Yuna was a couple years below them.

"I don't know, I thought her name sounded familiar, and maybe she was friends with Hyunjin, but she's too young."

Lia laughed, a bright, happy sound.

"Hyunjin is our year, silly. Yuna's two years under us."

"Shut up, I didn't realise that Hyunjin's in the same year as us. He might as well be invisible, I never see him at school."

Of course, Yeji's brother would never dare to let her see him during schooltime, how embarrassing for him.

Yeji rolled her eyes.

"Hyunjin's two months older than you, idiot, of course you're in the same year group."

Lia added, watching her phone screen.