Tough Customers Meeting

Rattles goes to school the next day and meets his friends on the jungle gym at lunch.

"I call this meeting of the Tough Customers to order," Binky pounds the toy mallet on the jungle gym.

"Anything new?" Slink asks.

"Nothing, it's a quiet weekend," Molly says.

Rattles sighs and turns around to look at the other students.

"You okay Rattles?" Binky asks.

"Yeah, just thinking about what my mom and Archie told me and the twins last night," Rattles says.

"Well, what did they tell you?" Binky asks.

"My mom is pregnant."

"That's great, you'll have a little brother or sister," Slink says.

"Exactly, I mean I am getting use to having siblings but they are my age, I have no clue how to be a big brother."

"We all have siblings," Molly says.

"Yeah, but I have a twin so I have no clue how to be a big brother," Slink says.

"What about you guys," Rattles turns back around to look at his friends.

"Mei-lin was adopted, preparing for an adoption is different than preparing for a birth," Binky says.

"And James is Kindergarten now, plus I was in Kindergarten when he was born, I wasn't even able to hold him by myself," Molly says.

"That's just great," Rattles returns to looking at the kids on the playground.

"Don't worry Rattles, you'll figure it out," Slink says as the rest of them join him in watching the other kids.

As they look around Binky spots Arthur.

"Well, I'm a doofus," Binky says.

"Why?"

"We all know one person who can solve Rattles' problem, he helped me a little bit," Binky says.

"Of course," Molly realizes who Binky is talking about.

"Is it Brain?" Rattles guesses.

"Nope," Binky says.

"Buster?" Slink asks.

"You do realize that both guesses are only children, right?" Molly says.

"Then who? Francine?" Rattles takes another guess.

"Arthur, his sister, D.W. is friends with James and he has a baby sister, I can't think of her name right now," Molly fakes.

"Her name is Kate, she has playdates with Mei-lin all the time," Binky adds.

"Are you guys sure he'll do it?" Rattles says.

"Of course he'd do it, why?" Molly asks.

"Well, it was pretty mean to tell you to make your pool horrible for them when the community pool was closed," Rattles admits.

"You could apologize," Binky says.

"That's a good idea," Slink agrees.

"I think I'd be better off with one of you guys teaching me," Rattles tries to not face the pain of his past.

"Maybe he should talk to a friend who he feels comfortable with, someone who truly knows Arthur. I mean even Arthur was afraid of me when I needed help," Binky says.

"I guess I can go to the ice cream shop after school," Rattles says.

The bell rings.

"Meeting over," Binky says banging the toy mallet.

The rest of the day passes slowly and Rattles is happy when the final bell rings.