"That soon?" His hand was shaking. He knew she could tell.

She said nothing, only gave a sullen nod. Zaida watched him. He shrugged at her. She could see he was thinking: at least it's not the end of the world. Then he was thinking: it just feels like it.

"OK," he said, "I'll bring the others into the loop."

* * *

ELZA RESSIE WAS WALKING DOWN THE HALL, carrying a small stack of cool metal letters. She unlocked her office and took a step in when she saw her out of her peripheral. "Najrina!" she called.

The young girl hesitated then made her way toward the counselor. When she stepped closer the first thing Ressie saw was the dried blood on her sleeve. Najrina knew what question would come from it. She averted her gaze. Ressie signaled her into the room. Shut and locked the door. Placed the letters neatly on the mahogany desk. There was a polished, matching bookcase, finely organized, packed with books. Ressie had her sit beside her rather than in front. A psychological trick to get the recipient more comfortable and willing to communicate. An easy tactic, one she'd practiced numerous times.

"Care to explain?" she asked, softly and gently. She used her finger to hang a tuft of hair behind her ear.

"I don't know," she said. Obvious signs of crying were evident. "It all happened so quickly."

She crossed her leg. "Have you gone to see Zaida?"

She shook her head. Didn't answer further than that.

"When did this happen?"

She shrugged. "An hour ago." She wiped her eyes. Ressie could see how anxious she was. Her hands wouldn't stop shaking so she helped wipe her face and eyes with a piece of tissue.

"There," she said, smiling, "our pretty girl is back." She inspected the cut on her lip. "But I do want you to get checked out by Zaida. At least so we can clean this bruise up. I doubt you'll need stitches." She looked her over again and narrowed her gaze. "Do you want to tell me who did this?"

She was quiet for a while. The room was filled with silence. Najrina could hear distant footsteps outside. Then chatter. Then the noise died as it passed down the hall. She sighed. "No. It's . . . it was an accident. He didn't — it wasn't intentional. I'm sure of it."

" 'He?' " she said. "As in –"

"No one. I'm fine, Ms. Ressie. Thank you, I am. Things are stressful enough, no need adding on to it."

"Najrina, you have a broken nose."

"I've got it under control."

"So hard to forget even harder to relax, yeah?"

She could only nod. I don't think I'll ever forget.

"I won't push nor pry," she said, abandoning the inquisition. "My door is open anytime you need, Najrina. Drop by anytime. If I'm not here then I'll set something up for you. You're cared about here. Our services will always be available, OK?"

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you, again." She stood up from her seat and embraced her counselor. "I think I will see Ms. Geet."

She patted her back. "Good," she said. "Healing takes a bit of bravery. And you are very brave."

Najrina stepped out and closed the door behind her. She felt the weight be relieved from off of her, albeit a small one, it felt good regardless. She felt at her nose gingerly. It hurt to the touch. Broken. How hard did Ryder hit her, she wondered. Her feet dragged across the cold concrete and tiled floors. Then she picked up pace. She was only a few feet down from counselor Ressie's office when it happened. Her heart sank. She stood frozen in the middle of the hall.