Bonus Scene - Lesson

"There's a strategy to everything," Cato says. "The key to it has always been to predict your opponent's move before they do."

I nod, knowing that what he's saying must be true. Cato is an ace at hand-to-hand combat, the topic of conversation on our walk home. We'd had a lovely evening. Cato and I had gone out for dinner and spent the entire time talking and laughing. This, us, is still so new, but I'm enjoying each moment. In this first month of being together in the Capitol I've learned how funny Cato is and how much I love his laugh.

"I just don't understand how you can predict someone's moves like that," I say as Cato releases me to unlock the door to our home. "I can't even predict my moves after I've made them."

Cato shrugs. "Keen observation. Remember, I was a quiet kid." I nod as we step in and Cato closes the door behind us. "I think that's how I learned. I never talked; I spent most of my time in the back of the room watching everyone with my thumb stuck in my mouth."

The image of a young Cato sucking his thumb makes me smile. He was probably the cutest kid.

Cato reaches for my jacket and I shrug it off. "I don't know, I think you're just born naturally smart," I tell him as I bend over to take off my shoes. Cato stops me and bends to do it for me. "Observation is useful, don't get me wrong, but to predict a person's moves takes a great deal of mental power, I'd think."

"There's that, too," he says with a smirk as he stands back up, turning as I note his blush. He may be very confident, but he sure does get shy when I compliment him on things outside of his looks or physical strengths. "It comes naturally." He gives me a sideways glance, making me giggle.

"Ok big guy," I say sarcastically, but I don't hide my smile. "Can you spare some of that gift? I have two left feet and trip on air."

Cato laughs. "Sorry. There's a lot of it, but unfortunately, I can't afford to spare any. Big Daddy's got a whole lot of charisma he's got to maintain." His lips curl into his charming smile, but I snort and roll my eyes inwardly. This is the love of my life...

"But hey, you don't have to worry. If you trip and fall, I'll catch you before you hit the ground. I always catch you."

My cheeks burn. That he does.

As he takes off his jacket, I watch his back contract and my blush deepens.

Cato turns and leans closer to me, placing his hand on my cheek. "What're you thinking about?" he asks almost as if he knows. I lean into his hand and look down, suddenly feeling shy. Sometimes when he looks at me, I just...

Cato questions me no more and kisses my forehead. I lead him to the kitchen. He sits down as I turn to grab him some water. He doesn't drink nearly enough.

I shake my head, not wanting to tell him the truth. I need to change the subject. "When we met, could you predict my moves?" I ask as he finishes the drink.

He places the glass down and takes my hand, leading me to our bedroom. I sigh happily. I cannot wait for sleep, it's been a long day.

"No." Cato stops in his tracks to frown. "No I couldn't. I never realized that before. I couldn't predict anything with you."

"Really?"

Cato flips on the bedroom lights. "Yes. You threw me for a loop every day."

"I don't know, I wouldn't say that's true. I think you read me like a book, just like you do now."

He reaches up to stretch as he yawns and his shirt pulls up against his body, straining against him as much as it could. I glance at his hips, watching his pants droop down in the opposite direction of his shirt, revealing the lower part of his stomach. My mouth goes dry. His pants are hanging so low.. just a tug of his zipper and he'd be free. I'm not so tired anymore.