[S1E5]Mephistopheles

Start from the beginning

"I..." Y/n interjected, "I don't think it works like that. That feels too... overpowered?"

Rias giggled, "Y/n there are Sacred Gears that infinitely double and cut people's powers in half. Granted those are Longinus types but there has never been a case of too bro-- what if you could pull an Identity of someone WITH a Sacred Gear? Would your Gears overlap? Would you be able to use the Gear? If you could that'd mean you are the only person in the world not only with multiple Sacred Gears at your disposal but you can create a second instance of someone else's Sacred Gear," There was a mad look in her eyes now. One where the possibilities of such powers at the hands of her pawn made her blush furiously, her devil instincts acting up.

"Rias please," Y/n pleaded. "I don't even know how I got these two Identities or if there's more to come. For all we know these could be my only Identities ever."

Rias paused. Her emotions ran high but Y/n's words caught her. She managed to calm herself down. "Right," she coughed, "apologies for that. As said before my instincts are hard to keep in check. Still though, the idea behind your Gear is so interesting I can't help but imagine the possibilities. You think you could pull a Y/n Gremory in there," she joked.

Y/n chuckled, "Who knows? The clock in my head has been silent the whole time. Think it was just here to be a tutorial."

"Shame. It was our only guide in this situation." She then shrugged, "So seeing as your Gear doesn't have any known connections you're free to name it as you wish. It'd do better for everyone in the ORC so we don't have to refer to it exclusively ad Y/n's Sacred Gear."

Y/n chuckled again before then asking, "Are you sure it's really ok to name the Gear?"

Rias nodded, "I don't see why not. You're the only one to ever have it from my knowledge so in all sense of the word its your Gear. You should get the honors."

Y/n smiled at the thought of something truly being his for once. He then looked to the book floating beside him and began to think. He then snapped his fingers, "Mephistopheles. Wait, is that a real person?"

Rias giggled and nodded, "Yes but that's fine. Wouldn't be the first or last time something was named after a devil. Though, why that name?"

"Well you know the story of Faust," Y/n blinks, "is that fact or fiction actually? Not important," He shook his head, "Well the story goes Faust makes a deal with the devil to gain all the knowledge in the world and Mephistopheles acts as the Devil's middle man."

"Okay... and how do these relate?"

"Well," Y/n held up his chained hand, dragging the book along with it. "If I continue to collect identities I'll gain access to increasingly more knowledge and abilities through it. When I became that fallen version of myself small fragmented memories of their past flowed in. If my hunch is correct I may be able to learn everything about the past of my Identities and assuming they're quite literally just me but if I was in someone else's place that'd mean I'd know everything about the original and as an extension more about my own world."

Rias nodded along, "So in a sense the Sacred Gear acts as your middle man that grants you possibly endless knowledge." Rias smiled a shining smile, "Clever thinking Y/n! Mephistopheles it is."

"It's not that clever. I feel anyone could come up with such a connection..." Y/n replied as he scratched the back of his head with a small blush. "Really, it's nothing special."

Rias stared at him and said nothing in response. 'Looks like he has some issues to work out,'  she thought as she then shook her head. "No no. It's a good one Y/n. Not many people are clever or even know the story."

Y/n looked doubtful but nodded in agreement none the less. His eyes then widened, "Kuroka!"

"Kuroka," Rias asked while attempting to hide her shock at that name.

"My cat," Rias calmed down, "she's a rescue. Found her in a really bad condition in a back alley. I need to go back to my apartment and check on her! She hasn't been fed, bathed, or had her splint integrity checked. I need to go Rias."

"But you still need time to rest and you were just recently attacked. The Fallen are likely still on high alert to ensure you're dead since I moved your body."

"That doesn't matter," He replied firmly. "My cat can't take care of herself so it falls on me to do my job."

"Why are you so firm about a pet?"

"Why not? I saved her from dying in a cold alley way so I'm responsible for her recovery."

Rias sighed, "Fine. May I come with you then to ensure your safety? You don't know the full extent of your power so I'd prefer it if I came along to protect you."

"Alright. Not like I have a choice with you being my master and all," Y/n sighs in defeat.

Rias stomps her foot, eliciting a surprised step back from Y/n, "I am your master yes but you are not beholden to my requests! My commands yes but not my requests. Other Masters may run their peerages like slaves but I in no way do so. I value your input, I value your lives, and I sure as hell value your autonomy. In no way do I plan to use you like a tool or discard you. Now," she breathes in, "let's try this again shall we? " She smiles, "May I come with you to your apartment?"

'Like hell I believe that for a second devil,'  Y/n thought before forcing a smile. "Sure I guess. It'd be nice to have someone watch my back. Though my apartment really isn't the nicest place..."

"That's quite alright. If its really anything awful I may have to force you to live with me, Akeno, or hell even the club house. You're still in the peerage of a noble devil after all. There has to be some degree of pedigree that extends to even my servants," She replied with a giggle. 

Y/n smiles at that. A real honest smile at a very clear admission that his appearance also affects her in a way that doesn't make him feel god, 'ow,'  awful. Rias' heart skips a beat. "I'll be sure to disappoint then. It'd be nice to live somewhere nice," He chuckled.  

Rias giggled too as she lead the way out, "It's the afternoon now so they shouldn't attack us if we're in public but it's better safe than sorry after all. Sides, you also have me by your side Y/n. I'll ensure nothing happens to you."

Y/n follows after her, "Thank you by the way. You really didn't need to do this."

Rias tilted her head as the two left the building, "Of course I do? I like you Y/n. I like every member of my peerage and I don't want to see them harmed. You're part of my peerage now and it's my responsibility to ensure the best for you."

"Hah, you sound more like an angel than a devil."

Rias giggled as she opened the door leading to the outside world, "Well we're really not all that different. We're all still living beings after all." The light of the sun graces Y/n's face once more for the first time since he awoke. He shielded his eyes for a moment as he looked out to the world with new eyes only for his attention to be captured by the beauty before him. Rias was facing the teen tilted at an angle with a pretty fanged smile, the spring breeze flowing through her hair. For a moment Y/n felt a blush form before quickly suppressing the feeling bubbling in his chest. Not again. Not this soon. Y/n stepped forward into the sun as a new man physically but his mind still remained in the darkness. Rias followed, intent on dragging the rest of him out into the light.

Though first they have to check on his cat...

Author's Notes: Done! Barely cutting my minimum words this time around but hey that's what happens when you have a simpler chapter with not much to go on cuz you wanna save the fun stuff for dedicated viewing hahaha.

Also just so y'all know, I have no intention of gettin wild with the Sacred Gear. Proj Moon and DxD content only. (If I wanted to get nutty I woulda had a different protag honestly haha)

Anyways not much to say really. So I'll leave you with the usual copy & paste. Tips, Tricks, Ideas and Criticisms are welcomed and encouraged!

OH! And next chapter the Captain shall arrive to tear asunder his feathered foes~