Introduction

Zuko looks on at Water Tribe survivors, smiling awkwardly. "Hey, Zuko here.." He raises his hand in a sheepish wave. The group's leader, a young few years older than Zuko, approaches him with hostility. "What are you doing here? I thought you were too busy kissing up to your deadbeat dad." Zuko clenches his fists tightly. "That's in the past now. I've come to understand the errors of my father's ways. For too long the Fire Nation has spread nothing but destruction. But no more. I will not apologize for trying to regain the honor I lost, but I have worked to atone for my past mistakes. Now I strive each day to be a just leader, and help my people recover from this war." Zuko takes a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "The past cannot be changed, but the future is ours to shape. That is what I focus on." The leader is not listening to reason. "And why should I believe you? Last I checked, at every turn, you always chose bad over good. You raided the southern water tribe, sicced pirates on the avatar and his friends, and worst of all, your actions in Ba Sing Se. How could you betray your own uncle like that? Why would did you side with Azula? She's cruel and manipulative. Your uncle is kind and wise. What am I missing here?"

"You're right to question me. My past actions were misguided at best, cruel at worst. I disrespected all those who tried to help me, from the Water Tribes to Uncle...especially Uncle. Siding with Azula was a mistake that haunts me still."

Zuko pauses, staring into the distance as if lost in painful memories. Then he meets the leader's eyes again, golden eyes solemn.

"For so long I thought regaining my honor meant pleasing my father at any cost. I was blinded by that goal. But Uncle showed me true honor is found from within, not bestowed by others. It was a hard lesson to learn."

He sighs. "I cannot undo the harm I caused. All I can do is dedicate every day to being the leader my people, and the Avatar, deserve. To bring peace. And to honor Uncle's memory by walking the path of goodness and wisdom, as he always did."

"You have no reason to trust me. All I can do is prove through my actions that I have changed. I hope one day you'll see I am sincere in my desire to atone."

The leader thinks it over, breathes in and makes a choice.

"Ok. I'll give you a chance. We have a group of scavengers heading out to search for food. But the forest could potentially be filled with Fire Nation soldiers. You're going with them. Their safety and well-being are your responsibility. So, I'm only gonna warn you this one time, kid. You choose the wrong path again, and you're dead! You got me?"

Zuko bows solemnly. "I understand. Their safety is my highest priority. You have my word - I will protect them with my life."

He straightens, expression calm but resolute. "Mistakes of the past will not be repeated. You have given me a chance to prove myself, and I am grateful. I will not let you down."

With a brief nod, Zuko turns and heads toward the group readying for their foraging expedition. He calls back over his shoulder, "They will return safely. You have my firebender's oath."

Then he strides away determinedly, hands loose at his sides but fists ready in case of trouble.

Hours pass by. The leader is sitting at camp, playing with his little cousins, when all of a sudden, a huge explosion is heard. Only a few scavengers return unharmed. But several come back with burn marks and lacerated appendages. Zuko comes running back, defending the men with his firebending from Fire Nation soldiers. I rise up with intense look in my eyes. The leader grabs his younger sister, who is a waterbender and an excellent healer. "Get the wounded somewhere safe! And start healing!" He commands her.

"What about you? I'm not just gonna leave you with him!" His sister Molana says.

"We don't have time! Get them out of here now!"

With worry in her eyes, Molana takes the injured away as the leader rushes to Zuko's aid.

"What happened to you guys?!" The leader barks at the former Fire Prince.

Zuko continues battling the Fire Nation soldiers with precise blows of flame, keeping them at bay from the camp. When he sees the leader rush to aid him, he shouts "Ambush! They were waiting - outnumbered us three to one. I tried to -"

He breaks off with a grunt as he sends a spinning kick of fire toward two soldiers. "Get the others to safety! I'll hold them!"

After the leader ensures Molana sees to the wounded,  he returns to Zuko's side, fighting with your own attacks. Between the leader's skills and his, the soldiers are slowly driven back.

Finally the last falls, and Zuko sags wearily. "I'm sorry," he says, genuine anguish in his voice. "I failed in my duty. Some were hurt because of me."

He knows the weight of this mistake, and braces himself for your wrath. But his focus remains on the enemy - he scans the trees warily in case more soldiers remain hidden, determined to defend your camp to his last breath if need be.

"We'll talk later. Right now, the forest is not safe. If what you said is true, then we can't fight a bunch of firebenders on our own. We need to get out of here."

"Understood." Zuko says. Let's get moving. Wait! Where are your cousins?!"

The leader panics and looks-around! His eyes begin bulging, sweat begins pouring from his forehead. Anwanna and Bol are only 7 and 2 years old! If anything happens to them, he would never forgive myself! He had already lost his parents and village to Fire Nation soldiers! He can't let them take his family away again!

"Those....monsters." He says calmly and quietly, but with a vicious and sinister tone that made Zuko look on with fear and concern. "If they hurt those kids, they're gonna wish they were never born!" The leader uses his waterbending to splash the water out of the leaves of the trees to create ice picks. It was raining just the other night. He then throw it uncontrollably and undisciplined-like into the air.

"You wanna prove you've changed!?" The leader barks at Zuko once again.

"Help me find the punks that took my cousins, and I might just offer you clemency!"

Zuko meets the leader's anguished gaze with a solemn nod. Though alarmed by his threat against the soldiers, Zuko understands his desire to protect family above all else.

"We'll find them," he promises grimly. Calling on his firebending, Zuko ignites a flame in his hand to provide light. "The soldiers may have left tracks. Lead the way - I'll watch your back."

He follows silently as you search, keen golden eyes scanning for any sign of passage. When you find clues, Zuko studies them intently beside you.

"This way," he says at last, gesturing. Violence will not help the children - he must get the leader to them safely.

As the leader hurries on, Zuko says quietly, "I swear on my honor, no harm will come to them. We will save your cousins...and make the soldiers pay for threatening your family."

He meant what he said before - this time, Zuko is committed to protecting the innocent. No matter the cost.