Fanaa Ho Sabhi Dooriyaan (2/2)

Ishan gets a text from Shubman that he's on the way and he can barely contain his flutter of excitement. He shouldn't be feeling so thrilled he thinks after all they did meet in Mumbai not too long ago. He tries not to think of how dramatic they were then. He definitely doesn't want to remember the long and desperate hug when they had last met. They were a mess together, realistically speaking.

Even now he was flitting about the apartment cleaning up, arranging things that don't need arranging, dancing around with his nephew. He was reminded of the Hindi movie heroes and heroines waiting for their lovers. Oh god why's he so lame when it comes to his bestie.

At one point he had bugged his mom who was cooking some of Shubman's favorite dishes. She was always patient with him but even she was getting tired of his nagging about Shubman's preferences making her say "mujhe patah hai beta, mein pehli baar nahi khana bana rahi hoon uskeliye" (I know son, this isn't my first time cooking for him)

He went to his room unable to contain his nervous energy. He turned on some music and pretend-practiced batting. Rather inconveniently, his coach at the academy he was currently practicing at called to discuss some finer points of the techniques they had been working on.

Shubman was nervous but mostly excited. He wasn't even sure why he was nervous. His friend who had dropped him off had rolled his eyes at his excitement. "Humse tho kabhi aise nahi mila." (He hasn't ever met us like this). He had muttered loud enough for Shubman to hear. But Shubman couldn't care less. He has known for a long time that he always treated Ishan differently.

He knocked instead of ringing the bell. Ishan's mother opened the door. He took her blessings and hugged her. He handed over the gifts and sweets (from Ashwin) he brought along.

"Iski kya zaroorat beta" (Why do you need to bring all this, son)

"Aapke bete ko pasand hai" (Your son likes it) She smiled. "Aap kaisi ho Aunty" (How are you Aunty)

"Mein tho teek hoon beta. Tum kaise ho?" (I'm fine, how are you?)

"Mein bhi teek hoon. Woh kaisa hai." (I'm also fine, how's he?)

"Woh jyaada hume dikhata nahi hai... agar uske mann mein kuch hai thi tum hume bataoge na?" (He doesn't show much.. If there's something bothering him, you'll tell us right?)

"Aap chinta mat kariye mein dekhta hoon. Hai kaha woh?" (You don't worry, let me check on him. Where is he?)

"Apne room mein..subah se intezaar kar raha hai.. tumse milke usko bohot acha lagega." (He's in his room..he's been waiting since morning..he'll be happy to meet you). Shubman smiled.

Shubman was standing at Ishan's door watching Ishan on the call, talking animatedly. The desire to pull him into a hug was overwhelming but so was the need to savor the joy of seeing his Ishan in flesh and blood.

Ishan who was looking out of the window while talking turned around and saw Shubman who was staring at him. Ishan stared back for a moment forgetting about the conversation he was having. Then he quickly mumbled something and ended the call. The minute the call was cut, the phone reconnected to the speaker and continued playing a song.

Saari duniya se jeet ke mein aaya hoon idhar

Tere samne mein haara kiya tune kya asar

(song lyrics: I came here after having won against the whole world

But I lost to you, that's the effect you have on me)

Shubman took two big strides, reached Ishan and pulled him into a hug.

"Ishan" he smiled.

Mein dil ka raaz kehta hoon Jab jab saansein leta hoon