Chapter 1: The Unforeseen Benefits of Seemingly Uneventful Endeavors in Altruism

Start from the beginning

After class, I found myself in the center of the bunker's warehouse, writing in my journal to record our history. As I was writing, I heard footsteps approaching me; looking up, I saw Lizzy. "Hey, bud, what's up?" I asked in an attempt to relax the situation.

"Um... nothing much," said Lizzy, holding her hands in front of her and rocking back and forth. "Listen, about what you said earlier... I... I told you about how I'd think about what you said, and..."

I held my breath.

"I'm sorry, but... I like someone else."

I exhaled, slightly disappointed. "...I see," I said.

"That's it?" said Lizzy, a little underwhelmed by my reaction.

"Sorry," I said, slightly ashamed. "It's just... I figured you had feelings for someone else. It's Thad, isn't it?"

"Yeeeeah," Lizzy said, glancing to her side.

"Not a bad choice," I said, chuckling. "Thad's a great dude to say the least. Real down-to-earth fella with a good sense of humor besides."

Lizzy giggled. "Yeah," she said dreamily, losing herself in thought over him.

I sighed. I should've known better than to go for cheerleader girls, I thought, getting a little bit depressed. "Well, I'll, uh, see you around, right, friend?" I said, feeling like I was gonna cry a little bit.

"Yeah!" said Lizzy brightly. "Bye!" She quickly left, probably to go talk to Thad. I slumped in my seat, thinking about how confident and cool he was. I began to muse to myself enviously, I wish I had that kind of confidence. I paused before adding, I guess I should be glad about what I've been given, though, seeing as how fate decided that she's not the one for me.

Seeing as how my date plans fell through, I decided that tonight would be a good time as any to go out searching for suitable materials for a weapon I was building for the day Disassembly Drones would intrude my home. As such, I set my facial alarm to go off at midnight. Once I arrived at my room, I brushed my synthetic teeth (I didn't eat anything that day, but I gotta keep them clean so they don't rust, y'know?), set my clothes out for the trip to come, got into bed, and began to rest my cords, waiting for the time when I would set out on my journey.

Later at Midnight...

My alarm went off to the song Darkest Clouds by the artist "Thundershturm", a Worker Drone artist I highly advocate for. Sure, the dude intentionally misspells most of the stuff he writes, including his song titles (you'll find the song under the title " Drakets Clloides"), and his album covers are bizarre to put it quite mildly, but he can drop a beat for sure.

I sat in bed vibing to the song for a few minutes until I decided enough was enough. I slapped myself in the face to turn off the alarm as I got up and hastily garbed myself for the journey ahead. Once I was dressed for the occasion, I sighed before heading over to the door and cracking it open a smidge, peeking to check if the coast was clear. Observing that it was, I decided to begin my journey to the outside.

Seeing as how very few people patrolled the halls at night (few people had reason to), I made my way to the doors with no obstruction other than one janitor that I had to sneak past through means of a little bit of diversion. Taking a rock from my pack of rocks, I threw a stone at the wall, allowing me a moment of opportunity to sneak through a hallway perpendicular to the one he was in without a hitch.

After a little bit of roaming, I arrived at the three doors and, seeing no other viable option, knocked on the door. It slid open, revealing a group of older Worker Drones playing a game of cards who made up part of the Worker Defense Force (WDF), a group run by Khan Doorman. "Evenin', boys," I said, sighing.