Not Like The Movies

"I would have said yes."

After Minjeong had slammed the door behind her, she hauled her luggage out on the ceiling, slinging two bags over her shoulder and dragging her suitcases behind her. Once the door had closed properly, her throat closed up and she bit the inside of her cheek, hovering for a moment out in the hallway. She wasn't going to cry over this. She wasn't. She lugged her suitcases down the stairs, making sure they thumped loudly with every step, knowing that Jimin could hear everything from her room. Good.

If she could just make it out the door, she could get herself to the airport and then she could leave. The ticket Siwon and Tiffany had given her was open-ended, so she could leave whenever she liked - possibly, she thought, with a pang in her heart, so that they could persuade her to stay longer, but right now, Minjeong did not want to spend any more time than necessary

It wasn't that it was a bad place; on the contrary, it was a wonderful place. It was just Jimin's place. Over the past week, Jimin had taken her all over, shown her everything, told her so many stories about her childhood that she couldn't even look at a tree without thinking about her. Everything had some sort of stupid sentimental value to her, and she needed to get out, now.

It wasn't until she'd hauled all of her stuff out onto the front porch that she realised she had a problem.

Her plan to get away was all well and good, except for the fact that she was now waylaid down with bags, ready to go to the airport with absolutely no way of getting there. She kicked her suitcase in frustration, her hands carding through her hair as she tried to think of a solution. Eventually, she pulled her stuff back into her arms again, ready to set off down the road. Whatever she was going to do, she was going to do it away from the Yu porch. Every minute that she stood there was another minute that someone would see her like this or Jimin would come down from her room to try and stop her: the last thing she needed right now was more of that.

All she had to do was get out of there without anyone noticing.

"Minjeong, are you alright?"

She resisted the urge to scream. Why did Siwon have to choose now to appear across the lane and wander into the driveway?

"Fine, sir," Minjeong said, her voice wobbling. "I just need to go home."

"How many times do I have to tell you to just call me Siwon?" he said. His tone was affectionate, and there was a softness to his eyes that made Minjeong want to punch something.

Jimin had told her over and over again that her father was a cold man, an unforgiving man, that he was critical to a fault and that nothing would ever be good enough for him, but Minjeong had seen none of this. All she had seen was man that loved his family and his community, and nothing of the man Jimin ohad spoken of, and right now, she wished she'd been right.

She didn't need someone to be nice to her right now.

"Sorry," she mumbled, ducking her head and setting off down the road, pulling her suitcases behind her. "I need to go."

"Minjeong wait-" she flung out an arm and took her by the shoulder- "did something happen at home?"

She shook her head. "No. I just... need to go home."

"Did something happen here?"

Minjeong paused for barely a second before shaking her head and saying no again, but it was long enough for Siwon to catch on. His brow furrowed, his lips pressed into a straight line, his voice low as he said, "Was it Jimin? Did she do something?"

"No," Minjeong said, backing away even more. "I don't want to cause any trouble. I just want to leave."

"You're no trouble to me, Minjeong, or to any of our family," Siwon said. "You're one of us now."