Constellations, Like Actual Stars

Start from the beginning

They weren't in front of anybody right now. Her parents were downstairs, out of the way - there was no way that they could hear their conversation. This wasn't the reunion anymore, there weren't people at every corner ready to sneak up on them and interject in between every sentence they had said to her.

They didn't need to pretend right now.

And she'd said it anyway.

She felt her heart speed up, wondering if Minjeong could tell, wondering if she could feel her hands shaking next to hers, wondering if she could tell how much of that she'd really meant.

"You got that right," Minjeong said, smirking.

...Maybe she hadn't heard properly. Maybe, she hadn't cared.

Either way, Jimin felt herself breathe a sigh of relief. She didn't want to cross the line - they might be fake dating, but they were friends first, and that was all they could ever be. It was all that Minjeong wanted, anyway, and she wasn't going to go against her wishes.

She need to stop these little slips if she wanted to keep this up. She had to keep a boundary between them. She had to.

Minjeong swung her legs off the bed, and jumped onto the floor, taking a look around the room, her hands on her hips as she craned her neck to take in every inch of the place.

"So, this is where little Jimin spent her time," Minjeong said with a smile.

"Yup," Jimin said. "This is where the magic happened."

Minjeong turned to her and raised an eyebrow. "You did magic here?"

"Ha, ha."

Minjeong turned her back to her and began to look around the room again. It was a nice little room, she thought. It wasn't as big as she had expected it to be - the double bed took up most of the room. There was a desk and a chair crammed in by the window, the desk still covered in whatever Jimin had been doing years before. The paper and pencils were exactly where she had left them, spread across the desk mid-work. More than four years had passed and they were all covered in dust, but everything was still there, still intact. It was a little bit eerie, almost like no time at all had passed.

Jimin joined Minjeong at the desk and looked over her shoulder. "Oh," she said. "I forgot I'd been working on this."

"'The Adventures Of Jiminie and Yeddeong: Fearsome Adventurers of the Island?" Minjeong said, her lips quirking into a smile.

Jimin smiled too. "It was a comic book I was working on with my friend, Yeji. We were-"

"Adventurers?" Minjeong finished for her, still grinning.

"Yeah," Jimin said, and laughed, wiping a hand down her face. "We had a whole storyline going. I can't believe I forgot about this."

"Yeddeong," Minjeong mumbled, shaking her head. "I thought I'd had my share of weird names including your family and friends, but apparently I was wrong."

"My family has a penchant for nicknames," Jimin said, a smile in her voice. "Trust me, you haven't seen the half of it. Wait until the wedding."

Minjeong grinned and then turned to look across one wall, which was filled from the floor to the ceiling with drawing after drawing, most of the paper yellowed and peeling.

"Pirates?" Minjeong said curiously, as she narrowed her eyes at the wall to see what she'd been drawing over and over again.

Jimin scratched the back of her head and smiled, shrugging her shoulders. "They were kind of my thing back in high school. They were my favourite thing to draw back then."