Minjeong wiped her face with a napkin and threaded her fingers through the coffee mug again with one hand, the other pulling at a loose strand of hair that had escaped from her braid. A few moments passed while she twirled her finger around the strand of hair, her gaze fixed down at her drink.

"What if you didn't go?" she suggested, tilting her head back up to look at her again.

"I can't just not go," Minjeong said. "It's my parents' favourite day of the year. They'd be so upset if they thought I didn't want to go."

"What if you couldn't go? Faked sick, or something?"

Jimin absent-mindedly swirled her finger around a pool of spilt milk on the table, making patterns across the wood. "Wouldn't work," she said. "They'd know. I never got away with anything like that in school."

Minjeong sighed, and shifted back to relax into the sofa, closing her eyes. "We'll think of something."

Jimin's eyes flickered over towards her and a smile tugged at the corner of her lips. Minjeong's head was tilted up over the back of the sofa, her face raised towards the ceiling. Her fingers drummed on the sides of the mug resting in her lap, before she opened her eyes and tilted her head over towards her, a grin on her face.

"What about a freak weather accident?" she said.

Jimin let out a laugh. "I'm not sure I can control that."

"Eh, you never know," Minjeong said, waving a hand in front of her face. "It's an option we can't rule out."

Jimin grinned. She couldn't help but notice how Minjeong had been using 'we' every time she discussed solving Jimin's problems; more and more, Jimin was feeling very lucky to have her as her best friend.

**

Her apartment felt cold and empty when she finally went home. She'd left very early in the morning the day before, and had not come back since, and somehow it had felt like she'd been gone for weeks, not just for a night. When she opened the door, her dog was on the floor at her feet, barking at her indignantly.

"Yes, boy, I know," Jimin mumbled, pulling her coat and shoes off and dumping them into a heap on the floor.

She dumped a blob of dog food into his bowl and put it on the floor for him to eat.

Exhausted and done with the whole day, Jimin dropped onto the floor beside him, arms splayed out. "It's been a ridiculous day," she said, when the dog climbed up onto her and made his home on the stomach. Jimin resigned herself to not being able to leave until Jax saw fit. She scratched him behind the ears

"Sorry for leaving for so long, Jax," she mumbled as she stroked the dog. "I've just made a big mess for myself."

Jax seemed entirely uninterested in anything Jimin had to say, just glaring up at Jimin with his cold eyes when she stopped stroking.

Jimin sighed and resumed running her fingers through the dog's fur.

"Hey, do you want to be my boyfriend?" she asked hopefully, lifting her head up and grinning down at the dog.

Jax stared at Jimin for a few moments, and then stood up, jumped off of her chest and stalked into the kitchen, leaving Jimin alone on the floor.

"Figures," Jimin muttered, dropping her head back down and closing her eyes.

**

She didn't find a solution to her problem. No matter how many ways she spun it around in her head, no matter how many angles she looked at, she couldn't find anything that would get her out of the mess she'd got herself into. More often than not, she found herself in the bar Minjeong worked in, sitting at the same spot behind the bar while she fed her drink after drink, until Minjeong refused to give her anymore and demanded that she go home.