𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯

Start from the beginning

"I gotta say, that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me," Percy admitted, his brow furrowing with confusion.

"What doesn't make sense to you?" Annabeth inquired, her curiosity piqued by Percy's remark.

"The way you guys all talk. The way the gods want us to think. Gotta burn an offering to get a parent's attention. Gotta beat up on Clarisse just to get my father to admit he's my father. It isn't supposed to work that way. People who are close to you aren't supposed to treat you that way," Percy expressed, his frustration evident in his words.

Annabeth listened quietly, her expression somber as Percy shared his thoughts. Enid's gaze shifted between Percy and Annabeth, her brow furrowing with concern, while Percy's expression softened with understanding.

"You wanna know how I ended up alone on the road in the first place? I started out as a gift to my father. That's how it works with Athena. We're born from a thought in her mind and then given to a partner she feels connected to. And for a while, I was treated like a gift. My father cared for me. He loved me. I knew it. Then he met a woman. They had their own kids. And to her, I- I wasn't a gift. I was a problem." Annabeth explained, her voice tinged with a mixture of sadness and resignation.

Enid's expression softened as she absorbed Annabeth's words, her eyes reflecting empathy and understanding. She leaned in closer to Percy and Annabeth, offering silent solidarity in the weight of their shared experiences.

"So I left. I was seven. It isn't the gods who think that way. It's everybody. But at least with the gods you know the rules. Show them respect and they'll be in your corner no matter what," Annabeth concluded, her voice carrying a mixture of resignation and acceptance. Percy nodded in understanding, his gaze softening with empathy as he absorbed her words. Enid remained silent, her expression thoughtful.

Grover's groan echoed softly in the compartment, a mixture of annoyance and exhaustion as he stirred from his slumber. His eyes fluttered open, squinting against the dim light as he attempted to make sense of the conversation that had roused him from sleep. Rubbing his eyes wearily, he let out another groan, a silent plea for peace and quiet as he tried to settle back into rest.

Percy's voice cut through the quiet of the compartment, his tone soft as he addressed Grover. "Are you awake?" he asked, mindful of not wanting to disturb him further.

"Well, I am now. Thanks," Grover replied with a hint of sarcasm, his voice still tinged with drowsiness as he shifted to a more comfortable position in his bunk.

Percy's voice cut through the quiet of the compartment, but it carried a note of confusion as he addressed Grover. "Are you okay?" he asked, his brows furrowing slightly as he tried to decipher Grover's expression.

"He's super grouchy when he doesn't get enough sleep," Annabeth commented, a smirk playing on her lips.

"He's super grouchy when he doesn't... Nah!" Grover mimicked Annabeth in a gruff, exaggerated manner.

Enid chuckled softly at Grover's mimicry, her eyes crinkling with amusement as she joined in the light-hearted moment. "Looks like someone needs a nap," she quipped, her tone teasing.

"Wow."

"You've never been on the road with him before. A little different than a froofy boarding school," Annabeth commented with a smirk, glancing at Grover.