Ch. 18: Unexpected Visitors

Start from the beginning

"Exactly. Then there are the commissions paid to the owners of the gallery, another way to generate legitimate revenues - at least on the surface."

"I see now why Gino and Joey D are so interested in your gallery." I give him a sidelong look. "And why you own one in the first place."

Max smiles. "I do have a legitimate interest in art. But I won't deny it's also been a convenient vehicle for certain financial transactions over the years. My current partners - the ones who are ready to retire to their villa in France - are legitimate connoisseurs and very respected in the art world. That's a large part of how the gallery has maintained its reputation."

"And that reputation makes it even more valuable to Gino and Joey D."

"Of course." Max sets his glass down. His face takes on an expression of calculation. "I'll probably allow them to retain a nominal interest, and keep them both on the board of directors. They present an excellent face for the gallery."

"And they'll do what you ask?"

"Of course," he says, and it reminds me once again the kind of power Max wields as if it's his birthright. And I suppose it is.

"Your involvement in the legal structuring," Max continues, "will only enhance that aura of respectability, given the reputation of your grandfather's firm."

"I don't know how comfortable I am with this." I've spent my entire life estranged from my grandfather. But that doesn't mean I'm prepared to use the cover of his law firm to provide illicit legal services to Max and his cohorts.

He seems to read my mind, and places his hand over mine reassuringly. "Don't worry, Hadley, the legal documents you draft will be completely above-board. There's no reason for you to have any involvement at all with the underlying transactions."

I look down at my hand covered by his. I wish I could be that certain.

"I'm still trying to figure out how I explain getting out of my lane to do transactional work."

Max shrugs. "Just because your background is criminal law doesn't mean you can't do a little business law on the side, now that you're part of a law firm that offers that instead of a state employee in the public defender's office. Besides, if you really do expect to run that firm someday, I'd think you would want to pick up a little experience in some of the other areas it practices. And Andrew will probably actually encourage it."

"Maybe." It sounds simple enough. But I'm learning that nothing with Max is ever exactly what it seems.

* * *

As soon as Max and Gabe drop me off at my building, I text Martina. I've never been more grateful to have a friend than I am right now. She is literally the only person I can talk about any of this to, and the last thing I want to do is sit around my borrowed condo alone this evening worrying about my role in the art deal, and wishing things could be different with Max.

When I tell her I haven't eaten yet, she says she'll be right over with pizza. After my weekend of fancy restaurants and top shelf beverages, I think a pizza and a bottle of the sangria I stocked in my fridge hits exactly the right note.

An hour later we're sitting on the floor in the living room with the pizza box open on the coffee table, and two-thirds of the bottle of sangria gone already. We look like twins in oversize t-shirts and yoga pants, and I'm pouring out my heart in a girl-talk kind of way I don't think I've done since middle school.

The way I've been rambling on about art galleries, a dinner meeting that came right out of The Godfather, the woman who tried to grab me in the bathroom of Gino's club, and the romantic night with Max that blew up in my face, I'm surprised she's able to make sense of any of it.