chapter 5

Flashback

14 Years Old, Middle School

Kim Taeyeon glanced back when she heard a group of loud chattering coming from the back of the classroom. They were Kim Jongdae, Kim Junmyeon and Byun Baekhyun.

It is a new school term and now she is finally assigned to be in the same class as the school's number one student. The classes are assigned by grades this year so she wasn't surprised, but she still isn't happy that she hasn't got back her place as number one from him.

She did her own research previously and found out that while Byun Baekhyun had always done well academically, he doesn't go to any after school academies to do his revision. Even her mother was curious to find out who his tuition teacher was since now she sees him as a threat to her daughter's academics, but she couldn't find anything about him.

Taeyeon glanced back at the trio again. She knows that Kim Jongdae and Kim Junmyeon attend the same after school academy as her, but Byun Baekhyun seems to study on his own yet he could surpass his friends easily.

She immediately turned her head away when she accidentally caught Byun Baekhyun's eye while he was laughing about something Kim Jongdae said.

During Physical Education, she would stare at him in envy while the other girls cheered for him. She didn't get why the girls like Byun Baekhyun. To her, he's a bit short compared to other boys his age and other than having a great personality and good grades, he's just like any other guy in their class.

She watched as his teammates surrounded him and rejoiced in victory after he managed to score his team one last point. She narrowed her eyes bitterly and looked away, realizing that she had been staring for too long. Not only is he good in his studies, he's also great in sports. The only thing that she is never good at.

One day, after school, she was caught off guard when Byun Baekhyun suddenly approached her while she was packing her bag.

"Is it me or have you been looking towards my direction all week?" he asked.

Taeyeon looked up to meet his eyes. His eyes were gleaming with delight, the same way he looked at her when they first met in the library. This boy seems to enjoy teasing her.

"No? You must have been mistaken," she denied, flashing a polite smile on her face. "I guess I can't blame you. You seem very popular among the girls."

"Every girl except you?" he smirked as he leaned one hand against her table.

"That's a bit conceited of you to think that every girl in class is fond of you, isn't it?" she scoffed as she threw her bag over her shoulder and pushed her chair into the table.

She realized she forgot her water bottle on the table after walking away and looked back to see that he was still leaning against her table.

"Can you pass me my water bottle?"

"Sure," he grabbed the bottle and flashed a cheeky smile at her. "What's the magic word?"

"Seriously? Nevermind, I will get it myself," she went back to her table to grab it from him when he suddenly raised the bottle high in the air so that she couldn't reach it. "Oh god, you are so immature!"

"How am I immature? I was just playing," he asked, his arm dropping down a little as he got distracted.

"I saw you holding a competition of who can blow the straw papers the highest into the air at the cafeteria just now," she replied as she snatched the bottle from his hand. "At what point will you be mature?"