Chapter Seven: Landown Pack, the Halfcrest's home, and their graveyard.

(NEW MOON)

Chapter Seven: Landown Pack, the Halfcrest's home, and their graveyard.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Mallory raised her head in alarm.

Far away on a corner, she saw the trapdoor rattling. There was someone trying to push it open. Mallory raised her vigilance and tried to find a weapon to protect herself and found the dagger. However, it was far away from her.

She panicked. Mallory released her grip on Melita's now cold hands.

Her sense of self still hasn't come back. Her emotions were still all over the place. She couldn't think of anything else, but one thing; escape!

She needs to escape. To live. Because by living, she can fulfill her promises–to grow stronger, to take care of herself and Oddny whom she has yet to find, and to live well.

Mallory had long stood up, her feet ready to dash out from the house when she heard a muffled sound from the trapdoor.

Mallory stopped and listened. The person down there still kept on banging on the locked door. Mallory listened for a few more times before her ears caught a familiar voice.

"Oddny?" Mallory's eyes widen. After she said that, the banging continued, but it was louder than before.

This time, she heard a sob. All the vigilance she had melted down. Without a second thought, she unlocked the trapdoor and the figure of Melita's only daughter entered her eyes.

Oddny looked up at her, her mouth was covered in gauze to keep her from talking, and her hands were tied up. She probably used her shoulders and back to bump into the wooden trapdoor to gain her attention. When their eyes met, her eyes suddenly filled up with more tears.

Without a second thought, Mallory pulled her out took the gauze out from her mouth, and released her from the ropes. Then, she pulled her into a hug.

Mallory felt indescribable relief when she felt her warmth against her. At the same time, her heart tightened again after realizing that this woman was probably the last person she had in this world.

Mallory pushed Oddny out of her embrace and cupped both of her cheeks. Mallory looked through Oddny's eyes full of tears before asking with difficulty. "You were there the whole time?"

Oddny's sob grew stronger. Mallory looked at her in despair.

Oddny was there the whole time. The vampire probably didn't take her out from underground for one thing; to let her witness as he committed murder. She probably heard everything, from their dying screams and the grimacing sound of blood exiting their bodies.

This young girl probably only got the courage to let her presence know when she heard Mallory and Melita talking, thinking that everything is already okay. But alas, Oddny was late. She failed to come up on time. Her mother is already dead.

Oddny looked at her mother and trembled. She escaped from Mallory's hands and kneeled, taking the cold upper body of her mother to hold. "Ma!"

Oddny's cries filled the whole house.

Mallory watched this, and her hands curled. Her anger swelled up along with her grief. Seeing Oddny pathetically crying like she did earlier makes her desire to grow stronger eat her heart.

Mallory pursed her lips and made up her mind.

She looked at the unfortunate women on the floor and felt a surging wave of sadness in her. But that strengthened her resolve even more.