i. Little One {3}

_________
Omniscient
August, 2006.
School.
Laanville, Mississippi.
________________

"Recess is in 10 minutes. If the next person gets this answer correct then we can go out early" the 3rd grade class started cheering like they already won.

"Anna come on up" the class clapped and got excited because she was one of the smartest kids they had. "9 x 24" Anna grabbed the marker to complete the problem and a minute later she was done. "216" "good job. Clean off your desks and get in line" the kids cheered and did as told.

Sarahi was only eager to go so she could finally get the candy she had been thinking about since last night. Her grandma saved 50 cents for her to buy some gummy worms from the snack shack.

The kids spread out like roaches, all doing their own thing. Sarahi immediately went to buy her candy then she stuffed it in her pocket for later. There was no one on the play ground so she felt safe to go. Sarahi just kept going down the kids stripper pole. Liking how dizzy it made her feel. The tiny wind also felt good on her face.

"Like mother like daughter" she heard a kid whisper as she waited in line for it. By now recess had fully started and all the other 3rd graders were out. She tried to ignore the looks and laughs but it felt like too many. Sarahi went down one more time before she didn't want to anymore. Suddenly feeling icky about it.

"Come play four square with us" a group of kids told her and she didn't feel up to it but then she seen a familiar face.

Cateleya.

Sarahi did a small and barely noticeable wave and Cateleya gave her a small smile. Too busy focusing on how nice Sarahi's hair looked. Two braids going into a medium sized curly ponytail, babyhairs slicked like honey.

They started bouncing the ball around to each player and it was going well. Sarahi was actually loosing up and having a little fun and was laughing with the other kids. Her and Cateleya were the only ones still in from the original group. It felt great.

Till it didn't.

"How y'all let a guh who itches every two seconds beat y'all? Such losers" Sarahi heard and slowly stopped itching her irritated eczema arm. "Don't let this get to yuh head. Yuh still suck" Sarahi was told and she didn't respond. Ariel bounced the ball and passed it to Cateleya who then passed it to Sarahi and she bounced it towards Ariel, but it went farther then necessary and it almost made Ariel fall which made the kids in line laugh.

Ariel groaned and when the ball came back to her a second time, she hit it so hard that it didn't touch the ground and went straight to Sarahi's stomach. Since she was so small it knocked her down and made her loose her breath for a second. The crowd watching did a lot of "ouus" and looked worried.

"Estás bien?" Cateleya quickly bent down and checked on her. Worry all on her face as Sarahi held her stomach as she cried and tried to catch her breath. Her stomach ached.

"Come on" Cateleya grabbed her hand to lift her up and started walking her away from everyone else. "Leya? What about the game?" Ariel asked, panicked about seeing Cateleya caring about Sarahi. Cateleya ignored her.

"Are you okay?" She asked Sarahi again as they sat on a brick wall. "Mhm, just felt like I had to throw up but I'm fine now" Sarahi mumbled, extremely embarrassed.

Cateleya eyed her, trying to understand in an American way but she truly couldn't. She couldn't understand Sarahi not defending herself.

"You have to start sticking up for yourself. That
estúpida won't leave you alone if you won't" "huh?" Sarahi questioned and they made eye contact. Cateleya smiled "stupid girl" "ohh" "yes, how do the Americans call it? Oh right um p- punk" Cateleya said in a heavy accent. "I'm not a punk" "well you act like one" "nuh uh do not" "do too" "whatever" Sarahi sighed. Folding her arms, slowly itching the left one.