Part 22

July 4, 2015 — Independence Day
      Martha and Jim joined them in the Hampton's last night and the team will be up here in a few hours to celebrate the holiday. They're having their annual barbecue and firework show in the backyard while enjoying some quality time in the pool. Beckett can't help but reflect on this time last year when they celebrated the holiday. They had stayed in the city since she was only 22 days away from her due date. It was fun, but it was hot and she was uncomfortable by late pregnancy symptoms.
As much as she liked last 4th of July, she loves this one. Once their friends arrive, everyone puts bathing suits on and gathers in the pool. Espo and Ryan help Castle with the grill while Martha and Alexis put platters of food together and Jim sits on the patio enjoying a non-alcoholic beer. Jenny, Lanie, and Kate are in the pool with Sarah Grace and Avery in floaties. Sarah Grace was already a year and a half old and in just 24 days, Avery would be one. "I can't believe she'll be one soon." Lanie says as if she heard her best friend's thoughts.
     "I know. I feel like this year has flown by." Beckett agrees. She feels a bit of relief when Lanie doesn't tease her about having another one. She finally opened up to her best friend a few weeks ago over the phone about the miscarriage almost two months ago. She had given the subject a lot more thought recently. She wonders what it would be like to be pregnant with a toddler. Part of her missed being pregnant. Of feeling the tumbling inside of her. Hearing the baby's heartbeat at appointments. Seeing her body change as she grew life.
     She also wonders what it would be like to have a son. A miniature version of Castle. She can picture him perfectly: a spitting image of his father, but her attitude. He'd be quiet, unlike Avery, and he'd keep his thoughts to himself. He'd be attached to her hip the way Avery clings to her father. It's something she really wants. But her doctor recommended they wait for her to experience three menstrual cycles before trying again. She hasn't talked to him about it either, doesn't know how he feels about the situation. She wanted to take these next few weeks to focus on celebrating Avery.
     "Food is ready!" Castle announces. Everyone makes their way towards the grill to get food, "I broke up one of the cheeseburgers in case she wants a few pieces." Her husband tells her as he passes her a plate. She smiles at him and gives him a kiss, "Thank you. Once I'm done I'm going to take her upstairs and give her a bath then probably put her to bed." She says. "She's not staying up for fireworks?" He questions. She shakes her head, "I think they'll scare her." "Are you staying up?"
     She shrugs, "I might stay out for a minute or two." She answers. He pulls her in and kisses her forehead, "It's okay if you don't want to watch the fireworks, Kate. I know they make you anxious." He assures her. "I know, but I would like to hang out with everyone without a certain someone on my hip." She jokes as she kisses Avery's cheek. They all sit on the patio and enjoy their dinner. Once she's done eating, Beckett carries Avery upstairs where she bathes her and nurses her until she falls asleep.
      Once Avery is asleep, Kate changes into a pair of shorts and a tank top knowing she won't stay out long enough to get back in the pool. "She go down okay?" Rick asks once she's settled on a lounge chair. Beckett nods, "She's was already half asleep when I started nursing her. I think it only took five minutes before she was out." She says. He smiles as he leans down to whisper in her ear, "Does that mean your boobs are up for grabs tonight?" She laughs and smacks the back of his head. "Back off, buddy, we have guests." She warns him.
      He sits back with a smirk, "Yo, Castle, we gonna start the show?" Esposito calls out from the pool. Castle stands, "You wanna stay out here?" He asks. She shakes her head, "I think I'm gonna go shower and snuggle with our girl." She says. He leans down for a kiss, "I'll be up in a little while." She says goodnight to everyone and then makes her way upstairs where she showers and put her earbuds in to drown out the loud commotion of the fireworks. Last year Castle told her that this was their last holiday before having a baby, now it's their last holiday before their baby becomes a toddler.
Part 22. I know it's mainly just fluff, but this story is winding down soon!