The prefect was right, of course. This was what had Nora wanted ever since she first saw the Beuxbatons enrollment papers.

    "Ilvermorny is also a respectable school—"

    Nora's eyes snapped up abruptly, halting Clara mid-sentence.  The last place she'd like her mother to send her was Ilvermorny.

    "Or Durmstrang—"

    Without another word, Nora turned away from Clara dismissively and knocked three times on the grand gilded doors.

    The girl nodded to herself, understanding that whatever she said wasn't helpful—but then again, what was ever helpful to Nora Mercer that was in benevolent candor? The girl didn't want to admit to herself that she most likely wouldn't be sent back to Hogwarts. Her mother would make sure to make her point from the past two years stand.

    Three seconds passed and finally the hoarse yet sing-songy voice of Madame Maxime sounded from behind the doors. "Come in.".

   Clara turned around on her heel swiftly, not sparing Nora another glance. Nora could hear it in the girl's sigh that she wondered why she even tried to comfort her—and it was beyond Nora's knowledge too. She still felt some regret after snapping like that, even without any rude words or annoyed huffs. Simply ignoring her was mean enough.

    As the sound of Clara's steps faded, Nora finally grasped the door handle and entered the office, her chin held high after taking two deep breaths. She hoped that Madame wouldn't see through her as Clara had.

    "And I lived to see the day when you, Miss Mercer, would actually knock on my door."

    Nora exhaled sharply through her nose, not enjoying Madame's dry humour. She dried her sweaty palms on her uniform, hoping it looked more like she was only fixing the skirt of it.

    She circled the couch a few meters from Madame's desk and took a seat on one of the two velvet blue chairs facing her. Her posture was rigid, and her eyes were wide with an air of forced nonchalance.

    "It only took you a year and two months."

    Nora swallowed hard. She could never explain to Madame that her not knocking wasn't a form of insolence—she just never had her thoughts collected enough before she came inside the office and she could never remember to knock first. Madame thought that she was deliberately trying to show her rebellience for being sent to a different school, but really, Nora had other ways of showing that.

    "Professor Bouchard is still actively trying to. . . drain the Dining Chamber."

    Finally, something to ease Nora's worries. The tone in which Madame said that sounded somewhat humorous—or perhaps Nora was just grasping at straws. Madame was never playful or in a joking mood.

    "You've made quite the spectacle, Nora."

    Those dark brown eyes were glaring now, and Nora waited for her uniform to start burning at the gaze of Madame. Definitely not humorous.

    "Say something," Madame prompted, acknowledging Nora's obvious speechlessness. "Don't tell me you're afraid now, after all the chaos and disarray you've caused in my school."

    Nora first gaped as she stared at one particular groove in Madame's desk, trying to find the right words. "I'm doubtful that you'll understand it was an accident—"

    "It wasn't an accident."

    Nora glanced up finally. "Not initially— . The end result wasn't what I was hoping for."

    "The end result," Madame repeated, her voice cold and her eyes blazing, "We've gotten extremely lucky in the end result. Thank Merlin we've made swimming classes obligatory for first years, or you would've had as a very tragic end result."

    Heat rushed to Nora's cheeks and body.

    "No comments?"

    Nora felt terrible—though mostly for herself. It truly had been an accident. Her magic had spiraled out of control, and a simple Aqua Eructo charm had conjured an entire waterfall into the Dining Chamber. It was horrifying, yes, for a few moments. But no one got hurt.

    "You won't believe me, obviously."

    "Because you lie."

    "I'm not lying. I mean, you explain it then," Nora said, almost scoffing. "What's the logical explanation to what happened? Where could I have conjured so much magic from? I'm fifteen, and, yes, I'm a good student but I'm not an experienced witch like. . . I don't know, Hermione Granger."

    Madame, at first, didn't seem to listen at all. And then Nora could see Madame collecting her thoughts, just now realising the strangeness of it all.

    "I'm not sure you could even conjure so much magic all at once," Nora added, shrugging.

    And Madame was back to her angry stare, letting Nora know that that comment was obviously uneccessary.

    "Nevertheless, miss Mercer," Madame began, grimacing while saying the name, "When you tally it all up. . . All the pranks and jokes and. . . practical jokes you've pulled in the last year and two months. . ."

    She was sneering now, her face contorted in disgust. Nora took a breath.

     "Not only on the students, but on professors—on myself!"

    Nora watched as a few drops of spit flew from Madame's mouth onto the desk surface. She did that when she was inexplicably angry, which Nora had only witnessed once before.

    "I have no choice but to tell you that you've lost your place at Beuxbatons Academy of Magic. You are hereby expelled."

𝐌𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐥𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐬 | James S. Potterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें