Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

Beth took a bite of her breakfast, savoring the taste.

"Then, we'll play the Borgov games first." Benny's voice broke her out of her trance.

"All of them?" She raised an eyebrow.

"He will be in Paris." Benny pressed.

Beth sighed.

"Fine." She turned to look at him.

"I will eat first."

"Well you kids have fun." Y/N said as she grabbed her purse from the counter.

"I have a performance to get to. I'll see you tonight." Y/N walked over to Benny and pecked him on the forehead.

"Ah, ah, not so fast." He gently grasped her wrist and pulled her in for a kiss.

"Good luck." He wished.

Y/N smiled and pecked him one last time before heading out the door.

"Please tell me I'm invited to the wedding." Beth piped in.

________________________________________________________________________________

Beth had been staying with the couple for quite some time and was beginning to adapt to the area. The morning traffic sounds no longer bothered her, the coldness of the shower was now numb to her, with every passing day, she felt more comfortable then ever.

"We're playing serious chess." Benny started. "Workmanlike chess."

"The kind of chess played by the best players in the world, the Soviets."

Benny paused.

"And you know why they're the best players in the world?"

"They have the best suits?" Beth suggested.

"It's because they play together as a team." Benny revealed. "Especially during adjournments."

"They help each other out." He explained.

"Us Americans, we work alone because we're all such individualists." Benny leaned back in his chair.

"We don't like to let anyone help us."

"You're helping me now." Beth yawned.

"Am I?" Benny raised an eyebrow. "'Cause it looks more like I'm putting you to sleep."

"I'm sorry. I'm tired." Beth apologised.

"Give the girl a break." Y/N said taking a seat next to her boyfriend. "You've been training her day and night. She hasn't had the time to rest properly."

"She needs it! She'll be facing the Soviets sooner of later!" Benny exclaimed.

"Yeah, and you'll be facing a lot worse now if you keep overworking her." Y/N glared at him.

"I should probably go to bed." Beth said as she got up from her seat.

"What, and miss out on all the fun?" Benny smirked.

"Mm. I'll survive." Beth said while walking over to the deflated airbed and grabbing the pump.

She paused for a moment.

"What fun?"

Three knocks rang from the front door.

"I wonder who that could be." Benny joked.

He ran up to the front door and threw the door open.

"Hey!" He greeted. A chorus of 'Heys' greeted him back.