Chapter Eighteen

1963

(3rd person POV)

Y/N sat at her stairs just staring at her door, as if it was going to burst into flames at any given second. Her gaze never left it as time seemed to drag on.

1 minute

3 minutes

5 minutes

She'd lost count after that.

A faint shuffling noise could be heard on the other side of the door.

The minute the letters went through the mail slot, Y/n lunged for them. Not even caring if her parents were watching or not.

She walked over to the table and placed them on top.

Water bill

Invitations

Advertisements

Her Y/E/C eyes widened as she spotted the letter she was looking for. The envelope was a light beige color with a red wax seal in the middle and her name and address at the corner.

As excited as Y/N was, she used the little amount of self control she had left and carefully opened the letter and surely enough, the check was there along with a letter from the judges as a congratulations.

Y/N silently squealed, not wanting to attract any unnecessary attention. 

She wasted no time to write the check down for Black's to pay of the debt. She shoved it into an empty envelope.

She leaned back and sighed, relieved that she's no longer going to part of that family. She glanced at the heavy ring on her finger, the light glinting off the huge diamond. She yanked it off her finger and chucked it into the envelope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Less than two hours after sending that letter, the phone rang.

Her father answered it.

"Hello?", He was silent for a moment as if reluctant to answer whatever the person on the other line asked. His gaze shifted to his daughter. "Yes, she's here." He finally said. 

He pulled the phone away from his ear.

"It's Richard." He mouthed to Y/N.

Y/N nodded and rushed to take the phone.

"Hello?" She said in the most calm voice she could.

"You little b-" 

"Language." Y/N cut him off with her monotone voice.

"No, you don't get to interrupt me. What on earth was the thing I saw on the paper a week ago? HUH?! IF I WASN'T WORKING MY ASS OFF FOR OUR FUTURE, I WOULD'VE CALLED YOU AGES AGO!" Richard screamed into the phone causing Y/N to pull it slightly further away from her ear.

"What are you talking about?" Y/N said, still in 'calm' tone.

"You entered that damn competition even after we had that talk of you not doing anything drastic. Don't you remember? Or should I REFRESH your memory." Richard scowled.

Y/N rolled her eyes at the vague memory from the year before.

"You know what Richard, I'm sick of being your perfect fiancée and I'm sick of putting up with you and your crap. You can kiss our engagement goodbye and don't even think about doing anything stupid. At any moment now there will be a letter that will solve all your petty little problems. So go ahead and tell that sexist father of yours that the wedding is off. So pick up your good-for-nothing ass and hang up the damn phone. Bye-bye!" Y/N exclaimed before slamming the phone down on the base.

Slow claps could be heard behind her.

She turned around at was met with a familiar blonde chess player.

"Never thought I'd live to see the day the Y/Full/N put Mr. Richard Black in his place." Benny laughed.

"His last name goes with his heart." Y/N grumbled.

"Well I'm glad I'm such an influence on you, it's clear you learnt that feistiness from me." He said as he snaked his arms around her waist.

Y/N shook her head.

"You may be a bad influence," She wrapped her arms around his neck. "But that feistiness had always been inside of me. Just wasn't the right time to show it."

"Is that so?" Benny teased, inching closer.

"What do you think." Y/N smirked, mimicking his actions.

Soon enough, the gap between them closed, and their lips where in sync. The couple was lost in their own world. It got even more intense when Benny decided to pin her against the wall, their  kiss getting more heated by the minute. 

That was until, the someone spewing out their drink was heard.

The couple quickly pulled away to face Mr. L/N who was gaping at the scene in front of him with half a glass of water in his hand. The other half obviously was spat out in surprise.

"I-When-You-Him-Ah-What?" He couldn't even get a proper sentence out of his mouth.

Y/N was panicking. How on earth is she going to explain to her father that she'd been seeing Benny behind his back for the past few months?

Thankfully, Mrs. L/N came in.

"Darling, leave the kids alone. I'll explain everything." She said as she pulled her husband away.

"What! You knew?!" Mr. L/N voice echoed as his wife led him to the other end of the house.

The young couple stood there in awkward silence.

"Sooooo...." Y/n started, trying to lighten the mood. "How'd you get in?"

"You...Uh, left your window open." Benny answered sheepishly while rubbing the back of his neck.

Y/N nodded slowly.

After what seemed like hours of standing there, Mr. L/N's voice rand from the kitchen.

"Kids, come here."

The couple shuffled into the kitchen, not meeting his eyes.

"Y/N," He started.

She gulped. Y/N felt like a little girl being scolded by her father. 

"Your mother here explained everything to me and all I have to say is...."

Y/N was already dreading what he was going to say next.

"I've never been more proud of the decision you've made."

That made Y/N take back everything she'd just thought.

She looked up at him, blinking in confusion.

"W-what?" She croaked.

"I'm glad you chose what made you happy than go on with the life that made you suffer." Mr. L/N said with a small smile, something he does not do often.

"And as for you young man." He turned to Benny who trying his very best to meet his gaze.

"You and I are going to have a little talk about you and my daughter." He said, this time with a stone cold face as he walked into the living room with Benny trailing behind him.

Y/N looked at her mother and within seconds, the two of them burst into a fit of giggles.

"I hope your father doesn't scare the poor man away." Mrs. L/N said between laughs.

"Gosh, I hope not." Y/N laughed.