Chapter Twelve

1962

(3rd person POV)

Days turned to weeks, time flew by as quickly as it came. Benny and Y/N had continuously met up through Y/N's bedroom window. It felt like two teenagers sneaking around to see each other!

Y/N's hands had already healed. However, she hasn't played the piano even after her hands recovered.

"Why won't you play Y/N ?" Her mother once asked.

"I'm just afraid I guess." Y/N told her.

"Afraid of what?" Her mother pressed on.

"I'm afraid that after all this time, my hands may have gone stiff. I'm afraid that I won't be as good as I was." Y/N looked down at her feet..

Mrs. L/N shook her head.

"Sometimes I miss the times when you were a child." Mrs. L/N sighed.

"What do you mean?" Y/N tilted her head.

"You see Y/N/N, a child is straight forward. One day they could draw a beautiful drawing but then they'd erase it only to start over again. Why? Because they know that they can do better the next time. They know that they can improve. Even if the next time is not as beautiful, they'd try again. Us adults are afraid. We're afraid that after we have made something good, we can never make it again. Therefore we keep it and we don't make anything new or we don't improve what we've made. So sometimes, it's good to be straight forward like a child. There's always room for improvement." Mrs. L/N finished.

Y/N was speechless. She didn't know what to say.

Her mother smiled at her.

"I'll leave you to think about it." She said before getting up.

"I'm going to get the groceries, I should be back before dinner." She told her daughter before grabbing everything she needed and went out.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Took you long enough to come get me." Benny pipped as he flung off water droplets in Y/N's bathroom. "You're lucky my hat managed to cover my head from the damn rain!"

"Sorry Benny, I lost track of time." Y/N apologized.

"Well the rain didn't." Benny grumbled while wringing out the water from his shirt.

"You done in there?" Y/N asked before barging into her bathroom only to be met with a shirtless Benny.

Y/N screamed.

"I AM SO SORRY!" Y/N exclaimed as she covered her eyes and went out.

"Lock the door next time!" She yelled from the other side of the door.

Benny couldn't even process what just happened.

He shook his head, grabbed the towel and dried himself.

He slipped into the clean clothes that Y/N left for him in the bathroom.

Both of them thought it was a good idea to leave one pair of his clothes in her place just in case anything happened.

This was a smart move that has proven its use.

When Benny came out, he saw Y/N leaning against her bedroom doorframe.

Benny cleared his throat.

Y/N turned around.

"You finished?"

Benny nodded.

She flattened her light yellow dress.

"Come on, let's go down." Y/N said and went down the stairs. Benny followed.