Chapter Nine

1962 6th of November

(3rd person POV)

Y/N made her way back to Benny with a smile on her face. When she got to him, she hugged him tightly causing Benny to freeze in shock. 

"What's this for?" Benny asked.

"Thank you." Y/N whispered softly into his chest.

"For what?" 

Y/N raised her wrist to show her bracelet.

"This. It calms me down every time I look at it before a performance. It's like you're right there with me and cheering me on as I play. I realized I never really properly thanked you for it." Y/N smiled shyly at him.

Benny blushed.

"It'-s really n-othing Y/N. Really! Just looking out for a friend." Benny mentally cringed. The word friend rolling off his tongue was a straight lie.

Thankfully, Y/N didn't suspect a thing.

Just then, the string quartet started playing a slow but calming tune.

"Do you want to dance?" Y/N asked Benny out of the blue.

"I-Uh, what?" Benny was confused.

"Do you want to dance?" Y/N repeated while giggling.

"I... don't know how." Benny whispered the last part softly.

Y/N laughed.

"It's simple! Come, I'll show you." And before Benny could say another word, Y/N pulled him onto the dance floor.

"Just put your hands here." She placed his hands to her waist. "And I'll put mine here." Y/N said as she placed her arms around his neck.

Due to his newfound realization of his love for the Y/H/C haired girl, to say Benny was nervous was an understatement. 

Y/N must've felt something was off because his hands stiffened around her. 

"Hey, hey, Benny?" 

He turned to look at her.

"Just focus on me okay? Don't care about how others are looking or thinking. Trust me." Y/N said in a soothing manner.

 Benny just nodded and kept his eyes on her.

Both of them swayed according to the music. Their bodies joined together as their feet moved along the dance floor. Eventually, Benny started to relax. He even started to enjoy himself a little. Feeling a little more confident, Y/N placed her head on his chest and closed her eyes. She smiled as she heart his heartbeat, which miraculously wasn't racing even though Benny's flushed face was very evident. However, Y/N didn't notice as her eyes were still closed. Time seemed to pass by slower then usual as the two of them continued dancing. Neither said it but both never wanted this moment to end. It felt so right, like a puzzle piece fit into place.

They stopped when they heard the string quartet end and when people were applauding. 

Y/N pulled away from Benny and clapped as well. 

Benny immediately missed her touch on him, he pouted slightly but quickly replaced it with his signature smirk.

"I guess I can add dancing to my list of talents now." 

"Oh, get over yourself." Y/N joked.

________________________________________________________________________________

Benny pulled over when they got to Y/N's place.

"You were the one that told our science teacher that her lesson could put a scientist to sleep." Y/N exclaimed as she got out of the car. "Then you received a month load of detention from her!"

Benny laughed at the memory.

"That's because her class was boring as f-"

"Language." Y/N warned.

Benny cleared his throat.

"Ahem, her lesson was boring as heck." Benny corrected. "I remember I saw you dozing off during her class once. Come to think of it, the class' fish was starting to fall asleep too." 

The duo burst into fits of laughter.

"Those were the days!" Y/N said as she wiped a tear from her eye.

"We were a weird pair weren't we?" Benny chimed in. "The book smart girl and the bada-" Benny stopped and corrected himself. "And the rebellious chess player." 

"I still have no idea how I agreed to being friends with you." Y/N giggled

"That's coz' you love me." Benny said without thinking. He realized what he just said and his eyes widened.

Y/N laughed.

"I think it's because I didn't have friends and you were the only one willing to talk to me." Y/N sighed at the memory. "And you were kind of a loner too."

"Hey!" Benny said with a faux offended look on his face.

The duo burst into a fit of giggles.

"Well, I should get in. My parents are going to go mental if I'm not in the house any later than this. Honestly, they still treat me like a kid. I'm 22, not 15!" Y/N exclaimed as she laughed lightly causing Benny to do the same (again).

When they finally stopped, Y/N went to her front porch.

She turned around and smiled at Benny.

"I enjoyed myself greatly tonight kind sir." Y/N said in a fake posh accent.

"As did I." Benny said, following her accent.

Both started snickering.

"Well, goodnight Benny." Y/N said.

She was about to head inside when suddenly,

"Y/N wait," Benny called as he held her wrist.

Y/N turned to look at him.

Benny took a deep breath before leaning down and kissing Y/N's knuckles.

"Goodnight, milady." Benny said with a wink before letting go of her hand and walking back to his car.

Y/N stood there on her porch, her face as red as her dress.

"What the heck just happened?" She thought to herself.

She shook her head and went into the house. 

When she had locked the door, she walked over to the living room only to see her mother sitting there and looking at her. Her mother smiled at her.

"Tell me everything."