Hesitating for a moment, I asked.

“Is this your room?”

“Yes, that’s right. It’s a room connected to the prayer room.”

“Prayer room?”

“Yes, the prayer room. It’s a place I’ve been using alone.”

“Mainly… what kind of prayers do you offer?”

Seraphina’s eyelashes fluttered slightly at my question. However, she seemed so unaffected the next moment that I wondered if I had seen it wrong.

“When hatred arises, I pray. I ask God to give me a tranquil heart.”

Despite the fact that I wanted to ask if the God of Tunia bestowed her with a tranquil heart at such times, it was now her turn. She opened her mouth again to me.

“Your Majesty the Empress of Actilus… I heard you ran away.”

I awkwardly nodded my head.

“Yes…”

“For what reason did you run away?”

A deep sigh escaped my lips.

I had come here to explain the reason to Seraphina and to get her to kill Raniero. I had made up my mind to prioritize my own interests and live a little selfishly, and I had adhered to that doctrine well up until now.

Yet, as I looked at her, my words failed me.

In the end, I averted my gaze and somewhat retreated from the discourse.

“Did Eden not say anything to you?”

I comforted myself.

She would likely find his words more convincing than mine. Eden was more composed and rational in his approach to conveying information, and originally, he was supposed to handle the explanation, wasn’t he?

However, Seraphina didn’t say anything.

As I  lifted my eyelids slightly to look at her again, my heart sank with a thud. It was because it felt like I had touched her most vulnerable part. Her lips were tinged with a bluish hue. It felt like I had stabbed an undefended and sacred creature with a knife, and guilt rushed over me.

Her fingertips trembled.

“Strange…”

A single word flowed out from her lips.

I held my breath, waiting for her lips to part again.

Seraphina struggled to continue speaking for a while. She seemed like someone unsure of how to proceed with a difficult story that she couldn’t easily bear. Perhaps she needed time to come to terms with something she might not want to acknowledge. Either way, she looked at me and started talking with a stiffened face.

“A man who had despised me for so long confessed that he actually loved me and was banished.”

My face grew warm, and I felt like fleeing from this place. Seraphina must have known that Eden’s confession was just a means to get banished.

“Of course, it must be a lie.”

I couldn’t say a word.

“And after a few months, you returned with him. Is it a coincidence…”

Even as she continued her words, her demeanor remained friendly. I couldn’t detect any resentment in her voice directed towards me.

Foolishly, it brought me a sense of relief.