It was raining on the surface.
The blackness of night was wearing into a clouded sunrise, only the blurred colors making it through, barely lighting the area.
The war had been won, Demise had been defeated, and now Hylians were settling on the surface under Zelda's guidance.
Link was at the forefront of this change, but he built his own house away from the blooming village.
He loved Zelda and the people of Skyloft, but isolation was nice.
They didn't understand what he had gone through and he wasn't going to try to explain it.
He didn't talk about his adventures while they were happening, he wasn't going to talk about them after.
Zelda did the retelling of what needed to be said and Link was happy to sit that mess out.
It had been about a year since his victory, maybe eight months since he finished his home.
Keeping to himself wasn't very hard, it was easy to slip in and out of places when he needed things, the exception being Zelda and when she needed him.
He would have been alone if not for the fact he had picked up a house guest a month ago.
The time had gotten the better of him, he felt he had so much of it now that he wasn't always rushing somewhere to find Zelda.
He filled it by adventuring more of the surface, taking in places he hadn't fully been able to enjoy before.
It had been a whim to climb the Great Tree in Faron woods.
The curiosity as to what the view might be like was to tempting to pass up, so he climbed an climbed all the way to the top, grappling with the bark when the path running through the trees ended.
It was like a bowl in the middle, uneven by the branches coming from the sides.
Link had less then three seconds to revel in the fact he had made it to the top before he saw it.
A dark blade rested carelessly in the center, not even propped up or in a sheath.
It was simply there, abandoned and smelling slightly like the ozone of their last battle.
Recognition was instant for Link, he knew it was the Demon King's blade and waited for Ghirahim to pop out. Whether he was going to be fought for vengeance or pure rage, Link couldn't be sure.
The sword on his back was unfamiliar, no better then dead weight as far as he was concerned, but after Fi had been put to rest he had been left without a primary weapon.
He had no choice but to grab a sword, though none compared to her.
It was hollow and lifeless and Link hated it.
He had already broken several without meaning to in sparrs.
Talking to Eagus revealed it wasn't because he was using a sword improperly, it was simply because he was to strong for a normal blade to handle.
As he watched the dark blade, he didn't draw his own as he waited, he simply kept his hand on the hilt.
Pulling his shield from a pouch would have been a good idea, but it would take a moment to grab.
He didn't carry it on him seeing as he was scaling a giant tree.
Link waited but nothing happened.
The longer he waited, the more silly he seemed just standing there in a position ready to dodge and draw his sword.
At the same time, the longer he waited, the more worried he became.
Why wasn't Ghirahim showing up?
Was he dead?
Did Link inadvertently kill him when he killed Demise?
Link could feel in his chest he didn't actually want that to be the case.
It wasn't pity, no, Ghirahim wouldn't tolerate that in the slightest.
It was simply the fact that they were similar.
As much as enemies could be anyway.
Both of them were weapons fighting in a war of ages past, simply doing what they did because they had to.
Besides, as much as it literally caused him pain fighting Ghirahim, and as much as the man delighted in tormenting him, Link didn't actually hate the demon.
Ghirahim was new.
Just like the surface, just like the Kikwi, just like the land that went without ever breaking.
He was new and interesting and honorable, much to Link's surprise.
He was so tall and strong, charismatic as well, granted he was a a bit insane.
His promises usually ended in pain, but he kept them.
The Demon was a narcissistic definitely, but his eyes were so expressive, they gave way to what he was really feeling dispite his dramatic actions or words.
They contradicted eachother sometimes, more towards the meetings they had at the end of their adventure.
He would say something but not really mean them, or it would be reversed.
Link had to lower his hand from his sword as he thought about it.
Looking at the Demon blade, it looked...rusted and chipped.
Link really did to a number on it.
This damage was his fault.
An idea popped in his mind and immediately Link knew it was more then likely a bad idea, but he didn't just want to leave the blade here.
Ghirahim was a tool in Demise's games, and he didn't didn't have enough decency to thank his Sword Spirit with anything other then betrayal.
So, he reached forward and grabbed the hilt of the sword, lifting it very carefully.
It was heavy, but not unmanageable.
The sword was broken in places and rusted but it was still beautiful in the sunlight glittering through the trees.
His hand ran down the length of the blade.
Link flinched as it pulsed, his finger being sliced on the blade.
There was a few moments where nothing happened, but then the blade pulsed once more and a person was laying on the ground.
Link had a hard time believing his eyes.
It was Ghirahim on the ground.
He looked so battered and dirty, as if no time at all had passed since their final battle.
He still smelled like the fight, the ozone clung to him.
For a second, Link thought he was dead, especially as his eyes trailed to the broken diamond on his waist, it was barely giving off a glow. He was curled on his side with his right facing up, but then he saw the chest move thankfully.
Ghirahim wasn't dead, but he was dying, or doing something damn well close.
Link didn't hesitate as he set the sword down gently and reached in his pouches.
He pulled out a red potion and approached.
It wasn't expected, but Link was able to lean back out of the rang of the dagger swiped at him, landing on his butt and scooting back so he couldn't be stabbed.
"You couldn't just leave me to die on my own, could you?"
Ghirahim's voice wasn't it's normal low and velvety sound, it was rough and worn.
The hand clutching the dagger was back on the ground, trembling as if just holding it was difficult.
"I suppose you're merciful, you'll make it quick."
Ghirahim muttered, it took Link a moment to realize the Demon thought Link was here to kill him.
"Oh, so you won't even speak to me in my last moments?"
Ghirahim chuckled, but it turned out more as a raspy cough.
"Well, at least I'll die knowing I was free in my last moments."
Free?
That meant Ghirahim wasn't willing to serve Demise.
Link got up.
It was enough for him.
Ghirahim looked like he wouldn't be able to actually do any damage if he did manage to swipe his dagger, so Link walked forward, he held his arm up and met Ghirahim's wrist with his forearm as he kneeled.
There was a hiss of pain before the dagger dropped.
Ghirahim didn't say or try anything after that.
Link couldn't see the Demon's eyes, his hair that was more ashy then white covered them.
Moving the hair, Ghirahim's eyes were wide, he looked afraid but still defiant.
"I'm here to help."
Link said, Ghirahim seemed shocked to hear his voice for the first time.
Link motioned to the potion still in his hand.
"Help-...why?"
Ghirahim's eyes were clouded with suspicion.
"You're dying...I did this to you."
Link said, he wasn't the best at words but he tried to keep his words flowing.
"We were on opposite sides of war, but there is no more fighting. We are no longer enemies, we are no longer tools."
"Oh...you really believe that."
Ghirahim said, sounding as if he expected a lie.
"Adorable, but not true-"
He was abruptly cut off by coughs.
Link tried to move forward, to put his hands on Ghirahim to help him up, but teeth were barred and he had to back off.
Link turned his hands up to show he wasn't trying to do anything but help.
Ghirahim wasn't going to trust him anytime soon, not that Link could blame him.
He had seen Ghirahim snarl and sneer at him, albeit in his collected and superior manner, but this was raw and feral, it was instinct, not personal.
"I just want to help you."
There were a broken sigh and a look of defeat crossed the Demon's face.
"You cannot help me now."
Link tool a careful moment to consider.
Ghirahim was pretty hurt, and not just by Link's hand.
"Let me try."
"Why? So my suffering can be prolonged!?"
Ghirahim snapped out.
Link needed to get the red potion into Ghirahim somehow, but he wasn't going to force him.
He needed to get Ghirahim to agree somehow.
"Listen boy, I don't know how you found me and I'm quite sure you didn't mean to wake me, so leave me be. I don't trust your charity nor do I want it."
Oh, Ghirahim had always been taken advantage of, so he didn't believe in kind acts, he didn't believe someone would help him for nothing in return.
The realization made Link sad, but he didn't let it show.
Looking at the dark sword, Link actually had an idea.
"Fine. Then let's make a deal."
Ghirahim looked surprised at that.
"A deal?"
Link gave a small nod.
"You won't hurt anyone without my permission and you be my sword. Being my sword means I'll always protect you and treat you the right way, and that I'll never let anyone hurt you, myself included. I won't use you if you don't want me to, but you will let me take care of your sword."
For the first time, Ghirahim's eyes trailed to the sword on his back.
"Fi had to be put back at the sealed grounds. I don't have a sword that can handle my powers...they all break because I am to strong."
Link couldn't help it as he trailed off a bit at the last part, but he shook it off quickly.
"I need one. Do you want to come with me?"
"What if I say no?"
Ghirahim asked, testing Link, his eyes defiant.
"I can help you and leave you here, or I can leave you here to die alone."
Link said, dispite how much he really didn't want to leave Ghirahim here alone.
"It is unlikely another will climb this high, but I can put you in the sealed temple. You would not be disturbed there."
Ghirahim looked at him wearily, as if searching for falsehoods, but Link was being honest.
Link kneeled beside Ghirahim quietly, waiting for an answer.
Maybe it was just Ghirahim testing his will, maybe it was his patience that was being tested, but Ghirahim didn't move or make a sound for a very long time, so neither did Link.
"Your kindness is going to be your undoing."
Ghirahim said after awhile.
It wasn't a question, so Link didn't answer, he only looked at the Demon.
"I think I'm getting the far better end of this bargain."
Link shrugged.
"I set the terms, I will not attempt to change them unless you see them as unfair or harmful to you."
Ghirahim didn't seem to know what to do with the consideration shown to him, so Link turned up the palm of his right hand, offering it to let Ghirahim take that step.
There was hesitation, but Link would wait however long Ghirahim needed.
Ghirahim's hand trembled as he lifted it, reaching out.
There was a pause before making contact.
It was just the tips of his fingers, but Link let his own fingers curl around them.
There was vulnerability in Ghirahim's eyes.
"You're mine now."
Link said softly.
"Let me take care of you."
Ghirahim gave the slightest of nods and Link gave him a soft smile.
Link set Ghirahim's hand down gently and moved so the demon was on his back.
Link could see the movment was pain, so he tried to go slower as he lifted Ghirahim's torso to slid his body so Ghirahim could leaned back against him, propped up.
"Drink this."
Link murmered, taking the cork off of the bottle and holding it to Ghirahim's lips.
He drank it slowly, stopping multiple times, but Link managed to get him to drink the whole bottle.
Putting the bottle away, Ghirahim seemed to breathing easier and fuller.
"That...doesn't taste good."
Ghirahim murmered, his voice already sounding much better.
As he grabbed another potion from his pouch, Link was thankful he always kept himself prepared, just in case he or someone around him was injured.
The diamond at Ghirahim's waist was pulsing softly now, just a bit brighter then it was before.
It was a good sign.
"I'm need to pour this on your diamond. It might not feel good at first, but it will be better after a few moments."
Link knew from experience, applying it on outside wounds aucked, especially on burns.
It stung a but left blissful relief.
"Is that alright?"
Link asked.
"You don't have to ask."
Ghirahim said, but Link could hear the apprehension in the tone.
"Drinking it would be less effective, but it would be acceptable as well."
Link said, offering an alternative since Ghirahim didn't confirm it was alright.
There was a slight head shake.
"It will be fine. Just do it."
Link popped the lid off with his teeth.
With Ghirahim being partially propped against him, it wasn't that far of a reach, but he was careful to keep the pour in slow circles on the outside of the broken diamond, letting it form over itself, growing inward to mend the broken parts.
Ghirahim hissed and Link's thigh was gripped in a hold that was probably only bruising instead of crushing because of Ghirahim's weakened state.
Link didn't doubt Ghirahim wasn't realizing he had even moved at all, but he wasn't going to say anything, instead choosing to concentrate on how the cracks seemed to be mending together, healing thankfully.
Ghirahim straddled to keep his body still, Link could see by how his muscles were tensed and how he shifted to the right slightly before forcing himself back.
Once the bottle was empty, Link didn't hesitate to set the bottle aside and brushed through Ghirahim's hair soothingly.
The diamond seemed to have recovered only a very thin layer of the protective barrier, but a thin layer was better then none.
"You can move."
Link said, getting the feeling Ghirahim needed permission even though he wasn't asked to be still.
Almost immediately Ghirahim curled to his side, a hand going to the core that was still healing as the potion did its work while the other kept its grip on Link's leg.
Ghirahim's elbow was digging into his ribs painfully, but Link only cradled Ghirahim and made sure his fingers didn't get snagged on knots in Ghirahim's hair.
"You did good for me Ghirahim, thank you."
Link said, a full bodied shudder went through the Sword Spirit as he curled closer to Link, most likely not noticing he did it.
"It's okay. It's healing."
Ghirahim trembled in his arms.
Link let Ghirahim rest for a little while.
They had time seeing as it was hardly noon.
When Ghirahim's grip on his thigh was reduced, Link knew most if not all of the pain had stopped.
He kept threading his fingers through the hair for a little while before he spoke.
"Can you get back in your sword?"
"There...should not be a problem. I was forced out because you had picked up my blade and cut yourself...blood draws me out, gives me energy...needed to feed."
Why Ghirahim licked his blades after cutting Link made sense now.
"Do you need blood now?"
Link asked, he got a jerky head shake.
"Need rest in my blade."
"Okay. Drink this one more thing for me, and we can go home, okay?"
"More potion?"
Link had to remove his hand from Ghirahim's hair to reach into his pouch.
He had two heart potions, a stamina potion, a revitalization potion, and soup in all of his bottles.
Ghirahim whimpered slightly at loss of contact.
It was a sound Link was sure Ghirahim was going to deny if ever asked.
"Soup."
Link pulled off the cork with his teeth but kept it, knowing Ghirahim wasn't going to drink it all.
"I'm not hungry."
"It will wash out the taste of potion."
He murmered.
Ghirahim let himself drink from the bottle, he drank about a fourth before he pushed it away from his lips.
Link corked and put it back in his pouch.
Ghirahim forced himself to sit up, which Link aided with a hand on his back.
"Bring me my sword."
Ghirahim said quietly, Link got up and reached the heavy blade.
He kneeled in front of Ghirahim, offering it hilt first.
"You truly want to be my Master? It's not a bond that can be undone without your death and someone else taking me up...if Demise were to rise again and I was still alive without a Master, I would be forced into his servitude once more.
The same should happen if you were to die.
I would be your sword if you were to raise again and no one had taken me up."
"I do. But if you do not want that bond, it does not have to happen. I will still care for you without it."
Ghirahim shook his head lightly, his eyes turning down.
"I don't want to be...used by him again. You will be a far kinder Master, I think."
Ghirahim looked up from behind his hair.
"He was a fool to treat you how he did."
Link said calmly, dispite how angry it made him.
It was the first time ever Link had seen a soft smile curve the Demon's lips.
"I see."
Ghirahim murmered.
As Ghirahim reached out, Link didn't move, not even when Ghirahim's hand cradled the outside of his own.
Link panicked slightly as his hand was jerked down the length of the blade and pain flaired through him. He was completely caught off guard by it and the fact that Ghirahim had sliced his hand in the exact same place on the opposite side of the blade.
It took several moments to realize the line on his palm wasn't even an open wound, it was scarred, as if it had been there since Link was a child, and that Ghirahim was gone.
There was a feeling of a thought in his mind that wasn't his own.
Link flipped the sword so he had a firm grip on the hilt.
It hit Link like a punch that it felt so right in his hand.
Like it had with Fi.
Like he knew no matter what, his blade would stay sharp and wouldn't falter, it wouldn't break like the soulless ones he had been forced to carry out of necessity.
The blade vibrated and Link had to hold it with both hands, he didn't know what was happening but he was absolutely not going to drop his new sword no matter what.
Link felt a pressing concern for Ghirahim as the sawed edges of the blade began falling off the sword.
It was quite a bit of metal, but the edges of the blade became straight while the point to the hilts wings pointing down dulled to be flat.
The blade shortened and Link realized Ghirahim was changing so his blade was in Fi's image.
It wasn't much of a change besides the dropping metal, and it made sense Ghirahim could look like this, because his design was based off of hers.
When the vibrating stopped, there was a chime in his mind.
It wasn't like Fi's, it actually more of a lower vibration, an ethereal hum that couldn't be recreated elsewhere.
'The transformation in order to best serve you is complete, Master, and the bond that ties us has been successfully enacted.'
Link heard in his mind.
'Thank you. Rest now.'
Link answered.
There was an affirmative hum before the presence of Ghirahim faded to the back of his mind, something he could ignore, but still there.
Link looked at the blade, there wasn't any rust on it anymore.
It seemed to have just...dissapeared.
Link picked up the dagger Ghirahim had left behind and out it in his pouch.
Then he pulled his sailcloth out and wrapped the blade carefully.
He put it on his back under the straps of his swords sheath and put the dropped metal in his pouches before letting a loud whistle rip through the air.
It didn't take long to hear a caw before Link took a few steps and had a running start, leaping off of the edge of the tree.
Crimson caught him swiftly and Link ran his fingers through the red feathers in thanks before angling him back to the village.
His loftwing knew where to go without much guidance, so when it landed in front of his hut, Link smiled and murmered a thanks, getting nuzzled in return before heading inside.
He was grateful he had made the ceilings tall.
He had thought he would be able to bring Crimsion inside, but the bird didn't like to be in the house, which Link couldn't blame him, it probably felt like a cage to a free creature.
Link had a bedroom, a kitchen and dining area with a table that only had two chairs, and a place where he could sit comfortably in a rocking chair where he looked outside, watching the rain when it occurred, he also had a hammock at the end of the room.
It was spacious, seeing as he tried to account for a Loftwing.
There was one more room, just a simple storage area, though he kept things from his adventure he didn't carry in a chest at the foot of his bed.
Link was very careful as he removed Ghirahim from his back and set him on the table.
Then he went to find some sword oil.
He only removed the blade at his back and exchanged it for oil in his storage room before heading back to Ghirahim.
Link knew Ghirahim didn't need this type of care, when he did it to Fi, she said it was unnecessary.
Though, when he asked how it felt, she said it was pleasant and relaxing.
He wanted Ghirahim to be comfortable.
So he sat in the chair of his table and unwrapped his sailcloth from Ghirahim.
Link started and he got about half way before Ghirahim woke, confusion was the first feeling.
Then it walled, building in this box Ghirahim was keeping.
It was like Ghirahim could try to contain it, but Link could still sense it.
Ghirahim was to expressive for Link to think this was anything other then the fact Link had just become his Master.
No doubt Demise didn't like being questioned and he enjoyed Ghirahim's suffering.
"What's wrong?"
Link asked, not stopping his hands.
'Nothing Master.'
Ghirahim answered smoothly, though his tone was cold...no, it was empty as if his emotions were completely reduced to nothing.
Link suppressed a sigh.
"Ghirahim, if you have something to say, I want you to say it...I will not be angry if you speak your mind. I would prefer it instead of submissive silence from you."
Silence didn't suit Ghirahim.
There was apprehension, like Ghirahim was expecting a trap.
'What...are you doing to my sword?'
The question was hesitant, slow.
Ghirahim was waiting for the bad reaction.
"Oiling it."
There was no reaction for a moment.
'This is...not a requirement for maintenance.'
"Is it unpleasant?"
Link asked, pausing in case Ghirahim said yes.
There was a pulse, displeasure.
'You will stop if I say yes?'
Ghirahim asked.
"I would like to finish. But I will not continue if you dislike it."
There was silence.
Ghirahim didn't seem to know what to do with genuine words, no traps or other intentions.
'This is unnecessary.'
Ghirahim repeated, still confused.
Link gave a small smile.
"I like this. Taking care of my swords. At least, I get to feel like I take care of them, of you."
Link traced down the center of the blade, his smile fading into a small sigh.
"I don't even know what you and Fi are made of...but she said this was relaxing, and I want you to be relaxed."
Ghirahim thought about his words.
'You...may continue.'
The blade pulsed when Link continued, feeling happy Ghirahim was allowing this.
Then he continued.
Ghirahim intermittently pulsed, like he couldn't control himself.
It seemed like this new sensation was foreign to Ghirahim.
Link wished Ghirahim wasn't deprived of it before, but he was glad he could do this for the Sword Spirit now.
When Link was done, there was a sort of weariness to the way Ghirahim felt.
'Sleep.'
Link said softly in their bond.
It was a detachment of consciousness, not like when a Sword Spirit was out of their sword, and not from Link himself.
It was like a blanket fell over Ghirahim.
The thoughts and emotions simmered down as he began resting.
Link gave a small smile before he got up and rewrapped Ghirahim's sword.
Then he headed to the the room and set Ghirahim on the desk in his room.
Then Link went about his day