Chapter X ''Pentos''

Three years have passed since Visenya was born. Three years since she first held her in her arms, since she saw her beautiful eyes, since she became a mother.
Three years since she was last in the capital of the Seven Kingdoms.

Since then, she has seen a lot of the world with Daemon, and the girl has grown up like a weed. She had her own dragon, with scales that glowed purple in the sun.
Everything looked perfect, they were a loving family who didn't complain about anything, traveled the world and had enough of everything.

Except that Valaerya was homesick.

They were having dinner with the Prince of Pentos, where they were currently staying. Their daughter sat between them, more focused on the dragon figurine Daemon had carved for her from a piece of wood than with her dinner. Besides, Valaerya didn't really listen to what was going on around them either. She was bored with these conversations, revolving around similar topics over and over again. She looked at her daughter with a warm smile on her face, thinking about what was happening in King's Landing and what she was missing.

Perhaps this trip was good for them, they took a break from the hustle and bustle of the capital and the castle atmosphere, but Val didn't feel at home. She felt like a stranger and wanted more and more to return to the place where she grew up.

"Let's raise a toast." she snapped out of her thoughts, turning and looking at the prince. He rose from his chair and raised his glass. "For Aegon the Conqueror, your illustrious ancestor who supported us against Volantis during the Century of Blood. On Balerion's back, he turned the tide of the war by burning the enemy fleet at Lys."

She raised her cup, but reluctantly. She didn't like the taste of the local wine at all, as if she was drinking watered down wine from Dorne, seasoned with some horrible herbs.

"For Aegon the Conqueror." Daemon repeated, also getting up from his chair.

Everyone drank from their glasses, and Val decided she would only pretend to drink because she couldn't stand the taste of it any longer.

"We need to discuss some things, or rather... A proposition I have." hearing these words from their host, she raised an eyebrow, but didn't say a word yet. First, listen to what he has to say. Her gaze involuntarily turned back to her daughter for a moment, she hoped that he would not propose any marriage. "I want to offer you permanent residence here, in Pentos. I will give it to you along with its lands, farms, vineyards and forest. The tenants will pay the new Targaryen Lord. By virtue of your birth, you can treat the city and port as your own.

She really didn't like the fact that he only addressed her husband and not her as well.
And she didn't like it even more when Daemon told him to continue.

"Lys and its allies are growing in strength. The Triarchy has allied itself with Qoren Martell of Dorne and may turn its gaze north at any time. Your family has dragons. I wish to protect Pentos from the greedy gaze of the Triarchy. Help us, as Aegon once did, and my gratitude will overflow your cup."

"It's not our problem." she murmured as if under her breath, but loud enough for everyone at the table to hear her. She didn't even look at them, which only added to the dismissive tone of her statement. But she really couldn't care less.

"That's a generous offer. We will definitely consider it." she raised an eyebrow again, looking up from her food to her husband. Her eyes said one thing: 'We won't consider it.'

"I already missed my friend Laena's wedding and the birth of her child. In the morning I got the news that my sister had given birth. I won't stay here." she declared.

She was not afraid to fight for herself, she learned that if she wanted something, in most cases she had to reach for it herself. She may have been a princess, but not everything was handed to her on a platter.
And now, she additionally cared about the well-being of her child. She wanted Visenya to grow up where she grew up, in her family home, which belonged to her. Not somewhere on the other side of the sea, separated from most of the family.