Chapter ten: forest date

The next day, in preparation for that night, the forest animals were in, even though they didn't know anything about cooking or cleaning they did their best.

To keep Bastien busy while they did so, Enola took him to the library and they sat at a table and read again.

Bastien specifically chose the book, Romeo and Juliet. "This is a beautiful story I read back at home. I think you'll really enjoy it!"

"I'm sure I will!" Enola said.

They sat at the table as Bastien read her the story and she laughed as he acted out the different characters by reading them in various voices and accents.

When they finally got to the end, Enola smiled. "What a beautiful, tragic love story."

"But how romantic that they were willing to go to such lengths for their love!" Bastien said.

"Why, Bastien! I had no idea you had such a soft side!" Enola said

"I've always loved romance stories. I've always hoped to find one of my own." Bastien said.

Enola smiled, thinking to herself how his wish might just be coming true. "Will you read it again?"

"Again?" Bastien laughed. "Why don't you read it to me instead?"

He handed her the book and she uncomfortably took it. She opened it up, but all the words seemed like a foreign language to her. "I can't," she said quietly.

"You mean you never learned how to read?" he asked surprised.

"Well, I learned. A very long time ago. I'm afraid too long ago." Enola said.

Bastien smiled at her. "Well, here, I'll help you. Just start at the beginning."

Enola smiled back. "Okay..." She took a look at the first lines spoken by the chorus. "Um...t-woah?"

"Two," he answered.

"Right. I knew that," she said. "Okay, um...Two...households, both alike in...dignity."

"Good!" Bastien said.

Butterflies flew in Enola's stomach at his praises. And thoughts about that night as her nerves heightened.

As she looked at the outfit that she picked out for her dinner with Bastien, she had to wonder if Bastien felt the same way. The dress was a beautiful shade of purple, accentuating her figure and making her eyes sparkle. It's left simple, elegant and undecorated, creating a look that flows from top to bottom. Below the waist the dress widens and has a gypsy dress style. The dress reaches all the way down, almost covering her feet and is longer in the back.

Enola paired the dress with a pair of nude heels that elongated her legs and a simple pearl necklace that added a touch of understated elegance.

With Bastien, he wore a clean shirt and buttoned it up fully to support the graceful bow tie he's wearing. On top of the shirt he's wearing a trendy vest with 5 buttons, it has a deep v-line.

Both outfits are simple for them, both functional and effortlessly stylish. Their sartorial choices reflected their understated elegance and appreciation for classic silhouettes.

As Bastien stood still for a long moment. His heart pounded.

"It is just a night," he thought. "Stop dilly-dallying and get down those stairs".

Taking a deep breath, Bastien began the long walk down the hall toward the staircase.

Reaching the top, he looked across to the top of the West den. To his surprise, Enola was standing there—clad in her best formal wear, looking as nervous as he felt.