Chapter 24: The Plan

Delbert made a fatal mistake in his last sentence. You shouldn't say never unless there's absolutely no way out, and I knew a way. I know what to do. "We need to turn around." I said, running down the stairs.

     "What?!" Amelia said in disbelief.

     "There's a portal back there. We can use it to get out of here!" I reached the broken cannon and grabbed a piece of metal. I started to pull on it trying to break it free.

    "Pardon me, Emma, but didn't that portal open onto a raging inferno?!" Delbert asked.

    "Yeah." I said, still struggling to pull out a big enough piece. "But Jim'll change that. He'll open a different door!"

    "Me?!" Jim said I'm shock. I turned around to look at him.

    "You're the only one who can do this!" I said. He nodded and ran down to help me rip the metal piece free. It was big enough for him stand on. He went and grabbed the cannon piece that he can use as an engine.

     "Captain, really, I don't see how this is possible—" Delbert tried to say but Silver cut him off.

     "Listen to the girl!" He said. I heard another set of footsteps and I looked up to see him coming over.

     "One minute, twenty-nine seconds till planet's destruction!" B.E.N yelled.

     The cyborg knelt down as Jim grabbed a rope. "What do you need, kids?"

    "Just some way to attach this." Jim said.

    "All right, stand back. Stand back now." Silver turned his mechanical hand into a torch and welded the two pieces together. When it was done, we all picked it up and heaved it onto the edge of the ship. "Here you go."

    "There you go." Morph said.

    Jim hoped onto the makeshift solarsurfer. "Okay, this is a good plan. Now, no matter what happens keep the ship heading straight for that portal." He said, looking at us. I nodded.

    "Be careful out there." I said. "And come back in one piece, promise me."

    "I promise."

     "Fifty-eight seconds!" B.E.N yelled.

     The boy looked back at us for a second until he stepped onto the engine's start button. He took off flying, leaving Silver and I to cover our faces from lingering sparks. When the sparks had vanished we both looked over to see him flying towards the portal. "Well, you heard him!" Silver shouted. "Get this blasted heap turned 'round!"

    "Come on! No one wants to be in an obituary!" I shouted.

    Amelia looked shocked at our words before looking at Delbert. "Doctor, head is back to the portal." She ordered.

    "Aye Captain." He said, turning the wheel. The ship turned around and we started heading back. As we sailed through the air, pieces of the planet were flying up. The ground was becoming extremely uneven and explosions rang out all over. I watched Jim dodging debris as he flew through the mayhem. There were times when I lost sight of him but I managed to see him again. My hands were gripping the railing of the ship as I watched. My heart was pounding in my chest from the stress and anxiety of the situation. I briefly glanced at Silver and saw that he was also looking for Jim. When he noticed me, he put on a fake smile as if trying to calm me down. I personally think it was more for him than me.

Debris would bump into us as Delbert tried his best to steer us away from the danger. Amelia was trying to help but her methods were only raising the Doctor's blood pressure. A large portion of the ground suddenly rose up, bumping into us. If I wasn't holding on then I would've fallen. "Go to the right! The right!" Amelia yelled.