Showdown

I got up that morning, putting on jeans, a long sleeve shirt, a flannel and my black combat boots. I headed over to the Tillman ranch to prepare for the plan. I wasn't sure about this, killing someone? But I mean, these people were assassins, they've killed more than I ever could. I really wasn't expecting this to be what the Tillmans were up to but then again, it isn't super surprising. I drove down the long winding road and park in front of the blue house. I get out and knock on the door. Gator answers and I step inside. I follow him upstairs to his room. "I'm sorry." He says.

"What?" I ask.

"I got you roped into this. I mean, you don't want this. You really don't." He says.

"Gator, I chose this. If I wasn't being nosy, this wouldn't have happened, it's fine." I say.

"Maybe I can get my dad to let you off the hook, you won't have to do this." He says. He has a straight face but you can hear the pleading behind his voice.

"Really, it's fine okay? Why do you care so much, anyways?" I ask.

"I mean, you're not bad." He says.

"Huh?" I say with a laugh.

"Like, you're not annoying, you're sort of interestin' n' stuff." He says.

"Thanks... I guess?" I say.

"No, no I just mean that... I like you, y'know?"

"Well, I like you too." I say, patting him on the arm. It was true, he was kind of an asshole, sure but you could see he cared about people.

"I mean, I know I don't know you that well but you.. I mean you have potential. You're real smart and stuff and I like being around you." He says.

"Thanks, Gator." I say. "You're not so bad either." He laughs. He takes his vape out of his pocket and takes a puff. If smells like watermelon. "You got an extra?" I ask him.

"No, but you can borrow this one." He says.

"Thanks." I say as he hands me the vape. I take a puff.

"So, uh do you know about uh.. my dad?" He asks. My heart sinks a little bit.

"I've heard things." I say.

"What kind of things?" He asks.

"About him... Hurting you. And his wife." I say.

"Yeah." Gator says. "Just uh, watch out, okay?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say. "Gator..." I look at him. He looks at me. I hug him. He freezes up for a second but hugs back. I let go after a second and we sit there in silence.

"I've got a flamethrower." He says suddenly. I laugh. I can't help it.

"What?" He asks laughing too.

"You've got a fuckin' flame thrower?" I ask, giggling.

"Yeah, you wanna see?" He asks.

"Um, hell yeah!" I say excited. He gets up and grabs the flamethrower out of his closet. "Holy shit." I say.

"She's gorgeous, huh?" He asks.

"Yeah, that's incredible." I say.

"You wanna use it?" He asks.

"What, seriously?" I ask.

"I mean, yeah, we'll probably need it for tonight." He says.

"So, what time are we heading over there?" I ask.

"After lunch." He says. He gets a chest out of his closet and opens it up. He grabs a pistol and hands me one too. I take it and put it in my pocket. "No, don't put in your pocket, Jesus." He says. He hands me a holster and I put it on, putting the pistol in. "Here." He says, handing me a black jacket. "This will cover it." I put the jacket on. We headed downstairs into the kitchen and Gator handed me a sandwich from the fridge.