To Catch A Cop

I got up for work, putting on my short sleeve white blouse, khakis, and black loafers. I ate some cereal and headed to work. My yellow car pulled into the Stark County Sheriff's Department building and I got out and walked inside. "Mornin', Brian." I said to the security officer in front of the building, showing him my badge

"Morning, Mrs. Bridge." He says, beckoning me inside. I walk in and take my seat at my desk. I begin my paperwork for the day, filing the prisoners. After a little while, the door opens again and the sheriff and his son, the deputy walk in.

"Mornin' ma'am." Roy says, tipping his hat at me.

"Mornin' sheriff, deputy." I say with a smile. The deputy nods his head at me as they walk to the sheriff's office. The deputy's name is Gator, I went to highschool with him and he is a HUGE asshole, really cute, but a huge asshole. Even more of an asshole is his dad, the sheriff, Roy. They're both sketchy as hell and lately they've been sketchier than usual and I was going to find out what was going on. Gator and his dad were talking in Roy's office for a while and I couldn't understand what they were saying, just muffled noises through the door. A few minutes later, Gator walks back out and into his car, probably to deal out some speeding tickets. A couple hours pass and I've finished my paperwork for the day and decided to start my investigation. I headed to the evidence room to look for clues. I grabbed a pair of latex gloves from the table and put them on. I looked through all the bags but there wasn't anything particularly unusual, just some drugs, guns and somebody's fingernail. Suddenly, the door opens and it's Gator Tillman, holding an evidence bag.

"You're not supposed to be in here." He says.

"I-" I start to say, startled.

"Save it. Just get back to work." He says, rolling his eyes. I walk out of the room and back to my desk, heart pounding. That was a close one. I could get fired for that. Gator walks out of the room a few minutes later.

"Hey, Gator I'm -" I begin to say.

"You're what? Huh? Doing shit that could get you fired? Listen, I'm not gonna tell my dad or anything this time but don't let it happen again, alright?" He says.

"Yes. Sorry, Deputy." I say. He nods and walks back to his car. That was nice of him. I wonder why he didn't tell his dad. The door to the evidence room was calling me again. Oh, come on I literally just got in trouble for going in there. Well, I mean Gator just left though so nobody should be in there.... A little peek wouldn't hurt. I sneak back in and see if anything's changed. There's now a cigarette in an evidence bag and 2 of the guns are gone. What the hell? He took guns out of the evidence room? I mean I'm not a cop or anything but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take evidence out of the evidence room. I peek my head out of the door and make sure nobody's there before leaving the room and go back to my desk. I sit there for a while, bored waiting for new prisoners to book. 2 or so hours pass and I go on my lunch break, eating a turkey sandwich, sparkling water and Doritos. Gator walks into the break room, looking nervous and sits down next to me.

"Hey." He says, bouncing his leg nervously.

"Um hi..." I say, a little confused.

"You didn't see me in there today, okay?" He asks.

"As long as you didn't see me." I agree. He extends his hand and I take it. He gives me a wink, shaking my hand and gets up to leave.

"Wait, could I get a Dorito?" He asks. I chuckle a little.

"Yeah, sure." I say, handing him a couple of Doritos.

"Thanks." He says, leaving. That was so weird, why didn't he want me to see him there? I mean, with the guns I could guess why but what did he do with them? I was going to spy on him tomorrow, I was going to catch a cop.