A bad start

***************

A self discovery story of two shattered and fragmented hearts that yearns to be healed.

***************

Who on earth made this timetable, do they fancy Mr. Silas as much as to put his class as the first period on a Monday morning and a three hour class at that?

Talk about starting the first day of school in a rough side.

I was still deep in my thoughts but was interrupted by mum's calls.

It's obvious she's been calling me for quite a while now, the stern look on her face said it but it didn't last long, it was gone in what seemed like a second.

"Honey, I don't know what's on your mind that's got your attention for the past five minutes, you didn't even notice your bread is now on the floor," She said making her way to the dining table with a jar of jam in her hand.

I tilted my chair a bit which let out an annoying 'screech' as I bent to my left side slightly and picked the bread, dropping it on an empty plate and replacing it with a fresh one.

"So...what's on your mind that got you thinking hard," mum asked, this time she was back at the kitchen, getting cups for her and dad.

I'm not a fan of tea you see, although it took mum a long time to realize this, she somehow got accustomed to getting cups for only her and dad.

"It's just school stuff," I replied.

"And what's the school stuff MJ?" she  asked, this time leaning on the kitchen counter and facing me, her hands crossed on her chest. 

"The timetable. I'm having physics as my first subject today, talk about starting the day on the wrong foot," I grumbled, annoyance clear in my voice.

"Wow honey that's good news then. Physics is a nice subject and you love it, no?"  She asked, a big smile on her face.

"Yes mum, I love it. I just didn't know my school loved me to the extent of putting it as my first period," I replied sarcastically to which mum let out a heartfelt laugh. 

I rolled my eyes at this and grabbed the jam forcefully directing my frustration and annoyance towards it.

"You know directing your frustration at the jam won't do you any good, you'll only stress yourself more and that'll add to your anger."

"I know but I'm just trying to open this stupid jam," I sighed, twisting the lid of the jam but it didn't budge. My frustration now turned to anger, evident in both my face and voice. 

Just then I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Let me honey," she said, taking the jam and with just one twist the cap corked off.  I rolled my eyes in defeat and she noticed this to which she smiled.

"You see, I told you," She said, sliding the jam towards me.

"Thanks mum," I muttered as I dipped my knife in and scooped a huge chunk of jam which I hurriedly slid on my bread with fear that it might fall off the knife.

I spread the jam nice and gently on my bread, placing another slice on top of the bread. I then slid the knife back into the jam.

Mum dragged the chair close to me and sat down, she then began to examine me, a look of worry evident on her face. She gently grabbed my right hand, still while looking at me. 

She knew I hate eating with my left hand, so her holding my right hand meant she wants us to have a talk.  

I turned my body, making sure I was facing her and then gave her a slight nod indicating that I was listening and she began.