Chapter Twenty-Three

*TW: sexual abuse*

I stare at the brush lying on my broken vanity.

I pick it up shakily and run it through my brown hair.

Today I am meeting my future husband. My father told me to clean myself up and put on some makeup. I brush out my hair until it shines in the light. I put some foundation and concealer on my face to cover up the dark circles under my eyes and brusies.

I change into a black shirt and blue jeans. I tie my hair into a ponytail and go downstairs.

"Ready." I tell my father.

He gives me what I assume is a smile. "He will be here soon."

"Okay." I sit down.

A few minutes later there is a knock at the door. I feel anxiety well up inside of me. My father makes his way to the door and answers it. The man I see when he opens it, scares me. He is well in his thirties, slightly taller than me, and creepy.

This is who I'm marrying. I think. I have to resist the urge to run as fear fills inside of me. Panic sets in as he makes his way over to me.

"Hello. You must be Clove." He says. His voice sends shivers down my spine.

I nod. "That's me." I say weakly. He reaches out to touch my cheek and I flinch.

"He doesn't bite." My father says.

They both laugh like that's the funniest thing they have ever heard.

"I'm Avitus Fabius." He says.

"Clove Kentwell." I reply quietly.

"Avitus, shall we get a drink?" My father asks.

"Why not." He replies.

They walk into the kitchen, leaving me alone. I sit frozen in place. Unable but definitely able to stand up.

After what feels like an eternity, the two men come back. They are very drunk.

"Well I should get going." Avitus says.

"Good to see you old friend." My father slurs.

"Likewise. And I was thinking of bringing the pretty lady home." He says.

He means me. He means me. I think.

"Why not?" My father agrees. "Get up girl."

I stand up. The fear registers inside of me. Avitus grabs my arm and yanks me out.

"Can I grab my things?" I plead.

"Fine." He removes his hand from my arm and I bolt up the small steps.

I open my tattered closet door and grab two of Cato's sweater's that he left behind, some pants and shirts and my shoes. I run back downstairs where my father and Avitus were waiting.

"Ready." I say nervously.

Avitus grabs my arm again and shoves me outside roughly. We walk through the muddy streets and reach a more dangerous side of town, if that was even possible. We get inside the run-down house. It looks similar to mine but smaller, if that was possible.

"Come." He leads me upstairs.

He pushes open a door and I see a bed and dresser. I realize what's happening as I'm pushed on the bed. He pulls my shirt off. His slimy lips meet mine.

"Avitus I'm not ready!" I choke.

"You are my wife." He slurs. He pulls down my pants. My bra and underwear comes off until I'm fully naked. He rushes his hands to my thighs. Too fast. I let out a moan.

"Get..out..of..me." I say.

He ignores me and continues going at it. Finally, once he's satisfied, he pulls away. He throws his clothes back on and goes downstairs. I hear the front door slam.

I lay there for awhile, hyperventilating and feeling frozen. Finally I sit up slowly, panting, and slip my clothes back on. I don't know what to do so I stay seated. Avitus comes back a little later. He smiles evilly when he sees me. I see a chain in his hand. Fear creeps into me as the picture comes together. He grabs me and uses the chain to tie my wrists against the metal headboard. I stay silent.

He leaves the room again and doesn't come back for the rest of the evening.

At night he comes back to sleep. My hands are chained in a weird way above me which makes it hard, but I am exhausted, so I fall asleep.

_______________________________
heyy!

i'm so sorry for not posting for awhile luvs :)

but irl stuff and writers block have gotten in the way lols

uhh so this was definitely a filler chapter (ssry) and i feel like my chapters are progressively getting worse *insert sob here*

i'm trying to make them better tho, and the next chapter will get better :)

any ily always!! byee