Chapter Sixteen

*Clove's POV*

I wake up in a completely white room. I look around and notice someone sitting in a chair. I'm dressed in a thin papery gown and on an uncomfortable bed. There's also a white bandage over my stomach. I focus on the person in the chair.

It's President Snow.

"President." I address him. My voice sounds weird.

He looks up. "Ah yes, our secret Victor."

Secret? I blink. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you see Miss Kentwell. There was a mistake. You were supposed to die and your District partner live. But someone heard something wrong and you both lived. No one can know you lived." He explains.

"Okay so why didn't you unplug my life support?" I ask.

"Why not? When Mr. Hadley finds out you're alive and being held hostage it will make him happy that you're alive but mad that you're imprisoned. Then he'll do something that will get him executed before the Victory Tour." I can tell he's been planning this for awhile.

"Okay, but wouldn't everyone find out at some point?" I ask.

"We'll kill him first. Once he's dead you're next." He grins evilly.

I try to process everything he just said. Basically, I'm dying either way.

"Well, I must go. Good chatting with you." He gets up and leaves, leaving the faint smell of blood lingering in the room.

I little later an avox came in with a tray of food. She helped me onto a wheelchair and took my out. I find it hard to finish the tiny bit on the plate.

She takes me to the elevator and put me in the District One apartment. She helped me onto the bed which I'm assuming was Glimmer's, and took the wheelchair away.

I sat there in silence until the television turned itself on, giving me a half heart attack.

Caeser Flickerman appears to introduce himself. Soon after our mentors, Maia, Cato's stylist and prep team appears on stage.

Finally Cato himself comes on. I can already tell he's unhappy. Of course, he's hiding it but I know him better than anyone.

Caeser asks him a bunch of questions which he answers smoothly. Until he's asked about me. Cato tells Caeser that I was his best friend. The whole Capitol gets sad. That's where Caeser ends the interview.

All I want to do right now is run up to the second floor and give him the biggest hug and show him that I'm alive and well, but I'm so weak I can barely walk.

Eventually I fall asleep.

I wake to someone calling my name.

"Clove! Clove!" They say.

"Let me sleep." I turn over.

"Clove wake up." They snap.

"You sound like Enobaria." I say.

"I am Enobaria." She replies.

I open my eyes to see Enobaria looking back at me. "Oh."

She lowers her voice. "Listen, obviously you're being held captive. But as your mentor I'm allowed to visit you. We're trying to find a way to get you out."

"Okay, does Brutus know?" I ask.

"Yes we were both told you're alive and we aren't allowed to tell anyone." She replies.