Chapter 31

The next morning was Hank's first as a former police sergeant. He had woken up knowing there was no job for him to go to. That was a very odd, unsettling feeling. Even the fact that the process of establishing Voight Detective Services was well underway didn't feel like it was doing much to lessen the blow.

One positive was Kalinda having stayed at his place the previous night. She had done her best to pick up his spirits while she got ready for work, and Hank appreciated that. It wasn't her fault that she hadn't succeeded. The loss of his job with Intelligence was now hitting home, in a big way.

After a cup off coffee, it was time for Kalinda to head to work. Hank stood near the front door as she prepared to leave, putting on her leather jacket and gloves.

"Sorry I have to go. I've done my best to lift your spirits. Perhaps it's not something I excel at."

"It's not you," Hank assured her. "Honestly, you being here has helped a lot. Until now, being kicked out of my own unit hadn't really hit me. Now it is."

"This is easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it. Busy yourself with something for the detective agency. What needs to be done?"

Hank considered that. Apart from continuing to drum up business, Erin had a lot of the preparations in hand. It was a matter of waiting for detective licenses to be issued, waiting for the lease on the office premises to be finalised, waiting for the website to be built, and so on.

"We're yet to hire a receptionist," was all he could think of.

"Then make that today's job," Kalinda suggested. Knowing him well enough by now, she wanted him to keep busy. That was the type of person he was.

"I probably should do that. Thanks, Kalinda. It's... nice to have someone backing me up."

She kissed him on the lips. "You'd better get used to that. I meant what I said to you last night. I love you, Hank. Very much."

Hank pulled her to him and kissed her again. "And I meant it just as much. I love you too. Will I see you tonight?"

"Of course. Come to my place and I'll make curry. Extend an invitation to Erin if you speak to her. Jay too, if he's willing to come."

He raised an eyebrow slightly. "You want to invite Jay to your apartment? You only met him last night."

Kalinda grinned. "You're going to have to get used to being with an Indian woman, Hank. Hosting and feeding people is what we do."

"You are very good at it," he said in all sincerity. "Not sure I want to sit and eat dinner with Jay though."

That made Kalinda groan. "Don't go down that road, Hank. You told me about the Hailey situation, and yes, Jay's behaviour was wrong. But you saw him and Erin together last night. They were very happy. Have a word with him, but a word only. Then put it behind you and be happy for Erin. That's how you get closer to her, not by making her think you're being a prick to her boyfriend. That'll push her away from you, not from Jay. Nobody wants that to happen."

Hank knew the advise was coming from the right place. Plus it was likely good advise, if he could manage to accept that. He wanted Erin to be happy more than he wanted tear a strip off Jay's ass. That was what he had to keep in mind.

"Thanks for the advice. I'll try to take it."

"You're welcome. I've got to move my arse, Hank. The last thing I need is to be late on the new boss's first day, whoever that is."

"You'd better go," Hank said. He hadn't told Kalinda about his sit down with Raquel Gonzalez, having decided that it was Gonzalez's right to make her own first impression with her team rather than for him start doing it ahead of time. "Have a good day. See you tonight."